volatile - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

volatile

ratnam_eeeratnam_eee Posts: 5Member
hi can any body explain what it is volatile identifier applications of it how ot use
can variable be both constant and volatile
reply me

where i can get information regarding volatile

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : hi can any body explain what it is volatile identifier applications of it how ot use
    : can variable be both constant and volatile
    : reply me
    :
    : where i can get information regarding volatile
    :

volatile means that the variable's value might be changed at any time from an external source. You use it when defining hardware-related variables to prevent the compiler from optimizing them away.
    If you have a code that looks like this:

int x = 5;

... /* lots of code not affecting x */

if(x==5)
    {
    doSomething();
    }

The compiler knows that no code has changed the value of x, so when it is about to generate the executable it can skip the if-statement since it is always true, and therefore doSomething() will always be executed.

But if x was a hardware register of some sort, it's value could be changed by hardware during the executiong of "lots of code not affecting x". Then the if-statement wouldn't always be true anymore, and the program wouldn't work since the compiler optimized away that statement.

By declaring x as

volatile int x;

you tell the compiler to not optimize any code using the variable x.
    volatile can be combined with const, in case the harware is read-only.