The D programming language - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

The D programming language

Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
have you guys ever heard of D? Someone made it to be the successor to C++. It actually seems cool, mixing high level aspects with low level.

the site
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/

a short descrition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language

the question is what do you guys think?
{2}rIng

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : have you guys ever heard of D? Someone made it to be the successor to C++. It actually seems cool, mixing high level aspects with low level.
    :
    : the site
    : http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
    :
    : a short descrition
    : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
    :
    : the question is what do you guys think?
    : {2}rIng
    :

The only things that appeal to me are that I think you can make whole sections of code "volatile" or thread safe by just writing a keyword + {} around it.

But it has garbage collection... so everyone just laughs at the language as they do at Java and C#. Nice try, though.
  • bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    In my humble vision, I don't see an improvement in elegance nor functionality, except a little bit in the function arguments of [b]main[/b], but I'd have preferred main to have arguments [b]const std::vector& args[/b]. In my humble opinion, I don't see the problem of using C++ with the many excellent libraries out there (STL, Boost, VCL).

A successor is not always better (e.g. Pokemon 2).

See ya,
    bilderbikkel

• tsagldtsagld Posts: 621Member
    : : have you guys ever heard of D? Someone made it to be the successor to C++. It actually seems cool, mixing high level aspects with low level.
    : :
    : : the site
    : : http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
    : : a short descrition
    : : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
    : : the question is what do you guys think?
    : : {2}rIng
    :
    :
    : The only things that appeal to me are that I think you can make whole sections of code "volatile" or thread safe by just writing a keyword + {} around it.
    :
    : But it has garbage collection... so everyone just laughs at the language as they do at Java and C#. Nice try, though.

I am an experienced C++ and C# coder and certainly do not laugh at C#. It is nice to write your own clean-up stuff, but if you don't have to, it's nicer.
    It is also nice to write your own printf function, but if you don't have to...see what I mean?

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

: : : have you guys ever heard of D? Someone made it to be the successor to C++. It actually seems cool, mixing high level aspects with low level.
    : : :
    : : : the site
    : : : http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
    : : : a short descrition
    : : : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
    : : : the question is what do you guys think?
    : : : {2}rIng
    : : The only things that appeal to me are that I think you can make whole sections of code "volatile" or thread safe by just writing a keyword + {} around it.
    : : But it has garbage collection... so everyone just laughs at the language as they do at Java and C#. Nice try, though.
    :
    : I am an experienced C++ and C# coder and certainly do not laugh at C#. It is nice to write your own clean-up stuff, but if you don't have to, it's nicer.
    : It is also nice to write your own printf function, but if you don't have to...see what I mean?

[blue]Those languages are very nice for desktop apps, but nothing else.
    The point is: why create a general purpose programming language that you can only use for one thing?

(I certainly didn't laugh when I had to deliver 20MB runtime junk together with my program written in .NET, but that's another story... :-))

Seriously, I know what you mean, but to me it seems like they invented garbage collection only to satisfy all the sloppy programmers who can't find their own bugs / memory leaks. Imo it is better to find the leaks instead of hiding them behind the garbage collector...
    [/blue]
  • Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
    I guess, but it matters what ur doing.

Lundin dude, you probably didn't read the wikipedia description. You actually have the option of turning off the garbage collection for either parts of the program or the entire program. I think it said you could also put explicitly instantiate/remove objects with the C functions (malloc()/realloc())

Thats what makes D special (not as a replacement). I actually read this in the specs a while ago. It said it was a practical language. It gives high level features, but leaves the low level because sometimes its needed. Like it said how its features can make programming in it possible without pointers, but pointers weren't left out, he kept it because there are exceptions.

Not as a replacement though. I still like C/C++. I think I'll look at D a little longer just to see what is like.
    {2}rIng
    : I guess, but it matters what ur doing.
    :
    : Lundin dude, you probably didn't read the wikipedia description. You actually have the option of turning off the garbage collection for either parts of the program or the entire program. I think it said you could also put explicitly instantiate/remove objects with the C functions (malloc()/realloc())
    :
    : Thats what makes D special (not as a replacement). I actually read this in the specs a while ago. It said it was a practical language. It gives high level features, but leaves the low level because sometimes its needed. Like it said how its features can make programming in it possible without pointers, but pointers weren't left out, he kept it because there are exceptions.
    :
    : Not as a replacement though. I still like C/C++. I think I'll look at D a little longer just to see what is like.
    :

Oh, that is more like it, then :-)

The sad truth is that a programming language won't be successful unless you have a company like MS or Sun promoting it. It doesn't matter if the language is good or not.
    :
    : Oh, that is more like it, then :-)
    :
    : The sad truth is that a programming language won't be successful unless you have a company like MS or Sun promoting it. It doesn't matter if the language is good or not.
    :

I hate this world X(
    {2}rIng

• bilderbikkelbilderbikkel Posts: 754Member
    : Lundin dude, you probably didn't read the wikipedia description. You actually have the option of turning off the garbage collection for either parts of the program or the entire program. I think it said you could also put explicitly instantiate/remove objects with the C functions (malloc()/realloc())

: Thats what makes D special (not as a replacement).
    Why does garbage collection make D so special? At first C# has garbage collection as well (and many many more languages). At second, in C++ you have excellent possibilities to manage the memory yourself, using smart pointers (e.g. std::auto_ptr, boost::scoped_ptr and boost::shared_ptr (www.codepedia.com/1/CppAutoPtr, www.codepedia.com/1/CppScopedPtr and www.codepedia.com/1/CppSharedPtr respectively).

So, what's left that makes D so special?

See ya,
    bilderbikkel

Its not the garbage collection that makes it special, its the fact u have a choice. I also said how its features can keep one from using real pointers ( I forgot which, and its hidden in the specs, so it'll take a whilke to find.), but it includes pointers anyway. A waste? No, for it serves its purpose, to be practical. Sometimes there is a need for low level stuff, so its still there. Its like having the new and old together, I think.

Another low level thing it has, considering its high level garbage collector, is inline asm. Of course, Java and C# can't have inline asm because there are atop platforms. Big constrast, huh? Thats what seems special, the fact it has high level features, but at the same time, has low level features that it still can be a systems programming language.

Read the wikipedia thing on it, its shorter and to the point.
    {2}rIng
    : Its not the garbage collection that makes it special, its the fact u have a choice. I also said how its features can keep one from using real pointers ( I forgot which, and its hidden in the specs, so it'll take a whilke to find.), but it includes pointers anyway. A waste? No, for it serves its purpose, to be practical. Sometimes there is a need for low level stuff, so its still there. Its like having the new and old together, I think.
    :
    : Another low level thing it has, considering its high level garbage collector, is inline asm. Of course, Java and C# can't have inline asm because there are atop platforms. Big constrast, huh? Thats what seems special, the fact it has high level features, but at the same time, has low level features that it still can be a systems programming language.
    :
    : Read the wikipedia thing on it, its shorter and to the point.
    :

ANSI C doesn't have inline asm either, while C++ supports it in the standard.