Quietness - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Quietness

JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
Anybody here still? Hmm. Well, news from me is that I passed my finals for my degree course. :-) Next year I'm having a year "out", doing some work and some travelling. And after that I hope to start a PhD.

How's everyone else doing?

Jonathan

###
for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
(tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
/(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Anybody here still? Hmm. Well, news from me is that I passed my finals for my degree course. :-) Next year I'm having a year "out", doing some work and some travelling. And after that I hope to start a PhD.
    :
    : How's everyone else doing?

Great to hear from you. PH has gotten kind of dull lately. Glad to have a familiar voice back.

Everything is good here. Congrats on the degree and good luck in your travels.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• lionblionb Posts: 1,688Member ✭✭
    : Anybody here still? Hmm. Well, news from me is that I passed my finals for my degree course. :-) Next year I'm having a year "out", doing some work and some travelling. And after that I hope to start a PhD.
    :
    : How's everyone else doing?
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    'I hope to start a PhD' - good idea. However, stil have no idea why I spent time to get mine :-D ... don't even remember where my PhD diploma is ...
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : 'I hope to start a PhD' - good idea. However, stil have no idea why I
    : spent time to get mine :-D ... don't even remember where my PhD diploma
    : is ...
    :
    Heh. Well, my hope longer term is to stay in the wonderful world of academia (which has its own challenges, sure) and out of the somewhat messier world of business. So PhD is a step towards doing that. Even if I don't get to do that, however, I think I'll really enjoy the process of getting it. Sometimes it's the journey that matters, not the destination. ;-)

Jonathan

###

[b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2006-6-30 12:43:50[/red][/b][hr]
    : : 'I hope to start a PhD' - good idea. However, stil have no idea why I
    : : spent time to get mine :-D ... don't even remember where my PhD diploma
    : : is ...
    : :
    : Heh. Well, my hope longer term is to stay in the wonderful world of academia (which has its own challenges, sure) and out of the somewhat messier world of business. So PhD is a step towards doing that. Even if I don't get to do that, however, I think I'll really enjoy the process of getting it. Sometimes it's the journey that matters, not the destination. ;-)
    :
    :
    :
    I spent about 30 years 'in the wonderful world of academia' and left it 9 years ago without any regrets. Believe me, it's not much better than world of business. But it's just my opinion and if you really like it, go ahead and have fun no matter what! :-)

: I spent about 30 years 'in the wonderful world of academia' and left it
    : 9 years ago without any regrets. Believe me, it's not much better than
    : world of business. But it's just my opinion and if you really like it,
    : go ahead and have fun no matter what! :-)
    :
    I'm interested to know what about it put you off, since maybe it's things I've just not spotted.

Jonathan

###

: : I spent about 30 years 'in the wonderful world of academia' and left it
    : : 9 years ago without any regrets. Believe me, it's not much better than
    : : world of business. But it's just my opinion and if you really like it,
    : : go ahead and have fun no matter what! :-)
    : I'm interested to know what about it put you off, since maybe it's things I've just not spotted.
    :
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :
    The biggest problem was money. It's quite difficult [b]in this country[/b] to get money to conduct your experiments. Without having money you have to work as employee of somebody else. This way did not work for me at all. I used to work as independent researcher back to the USSR almost 20 years and working under supervision of other person was very uncomfortable for me. It happens because, when you have your own ideas that do not follow your boss' ideas, it always causes problems/conflicts. That what was happened to me.
  • GyronMkweboGyronMkwebo Posts: 224Member ✭✭
    I see i am in good electronic company, what with all these guys who have Phds and Masters! I am still studying for my Bsc Mathematics and statistics and am already thinking of going into politics, not business. If anything, here in Zimbabwe, political office pays as much as business and academics, all one needs to do watch one's back a lot cross a few people's paths! ;-)
    How is th world cup for every one? For me it has been fantastic, the incessant power cuts over here notwithstanding. We have to make do with power rationing and sometimes have no power during games, so those who are monied make do with generators (I had to starve myself to buy one).
    Hey Jonathan , you made me think of the days when was in primary school, some guy told us that Phd is an acronym for Permanent Head Damage!
    : Hey Jonathan , you made me think of the days when was in primary school, some guy told us that Phd is an acronym for Permanent Head Damage!
    :
    I bet this guy has never been able to get his PhD :-)
    : Hey Jonathan , you made me think of the days when was in primary
    : school, some guy told us that Phd is an acronym for Permanent Head
    : Damage!
    :
    Heh, I think it's already too late for me on that front. ;-) And nice to hear from you again. Late follow up on the world cup thing - disappointed; I thought England should have got to the semi finals. But we were not good. We've lots of good players, but it seems we ain't so good at playing as a team. My favourite games to watch were Mexico vs Argentina and France vs Brazil.

Jonathan, on vacation in the US

###

• leeosleeos Posts: 1,212Member
    : : Hey Jonathan , you made me think of the days when was in primary
    : : school, some guy told us that Phd is an acronym for Permanent Head
    : : Damage!
    : Heh, I think it's already too late for me on that front. ;-) And nice to hear from you again. Late follow up on the world cup thing - disappointed; I thought England should have got to the semi finals. But we were not good. We've lots of good players, but it seems we ain't so good at playing as a team. My favourite games to watch were Mexico vs Argentina and France vs Brazil.
    :
    : Jonathan, on vacation in the US
    :
    Yeah - we WC was a big dissapointment for me. I thought I was a big football fan - but I kind of lost interest.

The best game for me was Italy vs USA for the entertainment value

Things going on for me. I have a new daughter aged nearly 3 months. Currently in the process of buying a house.