QUERY: IE vs Firefox - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

QUERY: IE vs Firefox

dhruba.bandopadhruba.bandopa Posts: 28Member
Q(1)
I have created an array and store 3 functions in it. Eg.

this.validateCols = new Array();

this.validateCols[this.COST] = function(obj, index)
{
return 0;
};

this.validateCols[this.LOCKED] = function(obj, index)
{
return 0;
};

this.validateCols[this.COMPLETION] = function(obj, index)
{
return 0;
};

Calling validateCols[0](0, 0) works in IE, but in Firefox I get:

validateCols[0] is not a function

Is this the correct way to define functions in an array? Or is there a better way?
Or is this not supported at all in Firefox?

Q(2)
Also .swapNode() is not in Firefox? Any alternatives?

Q(3)
I implemented drag 'n' drop and it works in IE but not in Firefox.

Each droppable HTML TD element has:

ondragenter="this.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'gray'; window.event.returnValue = false;"
ondragover="window.event.returnValue = false;"
ondragleave="this.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'white'; window.event.returnValue = false;"
ondrop="OnDrop(this);"

Each draggable URL element has attributes:

id='draggable'
onmousemove='window.event.srcElement.dragDrop();'
ondragstart='window.event.dataTransfer.setData("text", "data");'

But this doesn't work in Firefox. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Q(1)
    : I have created an array and store 3 functions in it. Eg.
    :
    :
    : this.validateCols = new Array();
    :
    : this.validateCols[this.COST] = function(obj, index)
    : {
    : return 0;
    : };
    :
    : this.validateCols[this.LOCKED] = function(obj, index)
    :
    : this.validateCols[this.COMPLETION] = function(obj, index)
    :
    :
    : Calling validateCols[0](0, 0) works in IE, but in Firefox I get:
    :
    : validateCols[0] is not a function
    :
    :
    : Is this the correct way to define functions in an array? Or is there a better way?
    : Or is this not supported at all in Firefox?
    :
    :
    : Q(2)
    : Also .swapNode() is not in Firefox? Any alternatives?
    :
    :
    :
    : Q(3)
    : I implemented drag 'n' drop and it works in IE but not in Firefox.
    :
    : Each droppable HTML TD element has:
    :
    : ondragenter="this.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'gray'; window.event.returnValue = false;"
    : ondragover="window.event.returnValue = false;"
    : ondragleave="this.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'white'; window.event.returnValue = false;"
    : ondrop="OnDrop(this);"
    :
    :
    :
    : Each draggable URL element has attributes:
    :
    : id='draggable'
    : onmousemove='window.event.srcElement.dragDrop();'
    : ondragstart='window.event.dataTransfer.setData("text", "data");'
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : But this doesn't work in Firefox. Anyone got any ideas?
    :
    The window.event object doesn't exist in FF. source: http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/dom_obj_window.asp
    But drag-drop isn't a W3C standard, so it might only stay implemented in IE.
    You should check the w3schools more often for these kinds of questions. There you can quickly see which functions/objects are supported by which browser, and also if it is a W3C standard.
  • dhruba.bandopadhruba.bandopa Posts: 28Member
    I have read that there's a onDragDrop event in the standards W3C. However it only gives as much information as who the sender was. What I would like is to set up some data hence the usefulness of IE's dataTransfer object.

Am not sure whether it's possible to set up a 'text' type data (eg. "1234|Some code|Some type") during the drag, and then drop it onto a table row... in Firefox. I've googled and still no luck finding an alternative to IE's dataTransfer object. :(
  • dhruba.bandopadhruba.bandopa Posts: 28Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by dhruba.bandopa at 2006-6-26 9:59:16[/red][/b][hr]
    I am quite disappointed in the drag 'n' drop support in Mozilla Firefox. What am trying to achieve is dragging an element from one IFRAME/FRAME into another IFRAME/FRAME. But upon dropping the element, I do not want the target IFRAME/FRAME to open/load it. I want it simply to handle the event, such as parsing the element/data dropped. Such uses as dropping an element into a table inbetween rows 2 & 3.

I have studied Netscapes way of ondragdrop events. However this only handles dropping external files, into the browser window, and the browser window will open/load the file. This is not what I want.

The only closest IE/FF drag'n'drop thing I found was http://script.aculo.us/ however their dragging doesn't go across IFRAME/FRAMEs.

Is there any way Firefox will implement similar drag'n'drop events as IE's:

ondragenter, ondragleave, ondragover, ondrop? that works across IFRAME/FRAMEs?
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by dhruba.bandopa at 2006-6-26 9:59:16[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am quite disappointed in the drag 'n' drop support in Mozilla Firefox. What am trying to achieve is dragging an element from one IFRAME/FRAME into another IFRAME/FRAME. But upon dropping the element, I do not want the target IFRAME/FRAME to open/load it. I want it simply to handle the event, such as parsing the element/data dropped. Such uses as dropping an element into a table inbetween rows 2 & 3.
    :
    : I have studied Netscapes way of ondragdrop events. However this only handles dropping external files, into the browser window, and the browser window will open/load the file. This is not what I want.
    :
    : The only closest IE/FF drag'n'drop thing I found was http://script.aculo.us/ however their dragging doesn't go across IFRAME/FRAMEs.
    :
    : Is there any way Firefox will implement similar drag'n'drop events as IE's:
    :
    : ondragenter, ondragleave, ondragover, ondrop? that works across IFRAME/FRAMEs?
    :
    Look through the lists on www.w3schools.com. It lists all the supported functions for the various browsers. I never implement drag-drop, because I only use the mouse when absolutely necessary, and nearly all drag-drop operations can also be done using the keyboard.