Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Create stand alone program

DragonChaosDragonChaos Posts: 11Member
I know that to create an .exe file i need to use VB, but I don't know the code to have it access access, but can anyone tell me the code I need to use or how to turn it into a run time program. I have a database created and all, i just need for it to run on a windows 98 computer and work as a stand alone application. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dokken2dokken2 Posts: 532Member
    : I know that to create an .exe file i need to use VB, but I don't know the code to have it access access, but can anyone tell me the code I need to use or how to turn it into a run time program. I have a database created and all, i just need for it to run on a windows 98 computer and work as a stand alone application. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :

unfortunately, Access is not like VB where you can create an EXE. Access applications require either Access to be installed or the Access runtime [developers edition] which is Access but with the design-time functionality turned off.

from a VB standpoint you have two options, control Access with automation [still requires Access to be installed] or connect to the tables with DAO or ADO and display the records on a VB form using VB controls [like datagrid, ado-datacontrol, etc]. that allows you to use the data in the tables without having Access loaded, but it puts the burden on you to manage the data, connections, updates, with VB.
  • DragonChaosDragonChaos Posts: 11Member
    : : I know that to create an .exe file i need to use VB, but I don't know the code to have it access access, but can anyone tell me the code I need to use or how to turn it into a run time program. I have a database created and all, i just need for it to run on a windows 98 computer and work as a stand alone application. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : :
    :
    : unfortunately, Access is not like VB where you can create an EXE. Access applications require either Access to be installed or the Access runtime [developers edition] which is Access but with the design-time functionality turned off.
    :
    : from a VB standpoint you have two options, control Access with automation [still requires Access to be installed] or connect to the tables with DAO or ADO and display the records on a VB form using VB controls [like datagrid, ado-datacontrol, etc]. that allows you to use the data in the tables without having Access loaded, but it puts the burden on you to manage the data, connections, updates, with VB.

someone was saying you can create a run time program,that would allow the data base to run with out haveing to have access, on the computer, that was what i was hoping to do, but if not then how do i do it through VB
  • dokken2dokken2 Posts: 532Member
    : : : I know that to create an .exe file i need to use VB, but I don't know the code to have it access access, but can anyone tell me the code I need to use or how to turn it into a run time program. I have a database created and all, i just need for it to run on a windows 98 computer and work as a stand alone application. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : : :
    : : unfortunately, Access is not like VB where you can create an EXE. Access applications require either Access to be installed or the Access runtime [developers edition] which is Access but with the design-time functionality turned off.
    : : from a VB standpoint you have two options, control Access with automation [still requires Access to be installed] or connect to the tables with DAO or ADO and display the records on a VB form using VB controls [like datagrid, ado-datacontrol, etc]. that allows you to use the data in the tables without having Access loaded, but it puts the burden on you to manage the data, connections, updates, with VB.
    :
    : someone was saying you can create a run time program,that would allow the data base to run with out haveing to have access, on the computer, that was what i was hoping to do, but if not then how do i do it through VB
    :

yes, the runtime installs the full Access with the design tools disabled. thats about the best you can do to create a stand-alone Access application.
  • DragonChaosDragonChaos Posts: 11Member
    : : : : I know that to create an .exe file i need to use VB, but I don't know the code to have it access access, but can anyone tell me the code I need to use or how to turn it into a run time program. I have a database created and all, i just need for it to run on a windows 98 computer and work as a stand alone application. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : : : :
    : : : unfortunately, Access is not like VB where you can create an EXE. Access applications require either Access to be installed or the Access runtime [developers edition] which is Access but with the design-time functionality turned off.
    : : : from a VB standpoint you have two options, control Access with automation [still requires Access to be installed] or connect to the tables with DAO or ADO and display the records on a VB form using VB controls [like datagrid, ado-datacontrol, etc]. that allows you to use the data in the tables without having Access loaded, but it puts the burden on you to manage the data, connections, updates, with VB.
    : : someone was saying you can create a run time program,that would allow the data base to run with out haveing to have access, on the computer, that was what i was hoping to do, but if not then how do i do it through VB
    :
    : yes, the runtime installs the full Access with the design tools disabled. thats about the best you can do to create a stand-alone Access application.
    :

thnks for the help