Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Antialiasing versus multisampling...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
Alright, I have my OpenGL renderer where it needs to be for the time being, but I would like to start coding some advanced features into it for the next version. My first goal is to remove jagged lines and such, and I have two options to do so. I can use the common antialising method which is common on most modern hardware, or I could use the lesser used multisampling method which is also common on most cards. Most games use antialiasing, but one of the most popular MMOs (World of Warcraft) uses multisampling.

Now what is the difference between these two methods and can they be used together for an even better looking scene? How does each method work to make the scene better looking? Does either method have a down-side, such as ghosting or something? Is one faster than the other?

I have seen an antialiasing tutorial on Neon Helium's site but haven't started reading through it yet. I have not found any multisampling tutorials yet, but I haven't looked much either. Any advice or links on the two methods would be appreciated.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce3/antialiasing.shtml

: Alright, I have my OpenGL renderer where it needs to be for the time being, but I would like to start coding some advanced features into it for the next version. My first goal is to remove jagged lines and such, and I have two options to do so. I can use the common antialising method which is common on most modern hardware, or I could use the lesser used multisampling method which is also common on most cards. Most games use antialiasing, but one of the most popular MMOs (World of Warcraft) uses multisampling.
    :
    : Now what is the difference between these two methods and can they be used together for an even better looking scene? How does each method work to make the scene better looking? Does either method have a down-side, such as ghosting or something? Is one faster than the other?
    :
    : I have seen an antialiasing tutorial on Neon Helium's site but haven't started reading through it yet. I have not found any multisampling tutorials yet, but I haven't looked much either. Any advice or links on the two methods would be appreciated.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Thanks, guatam. Excellent reference material, as always. You should consider becoming an admin out here if you aren't already.

After comparing supersampling and multisampling by viewing them both in action, I've decided on multisampling for now, and I might add a supersampling method later. I feel that multisampling yields better blending, while supersampling yields more contrast. If I was going for an engine with the graphics of Quake IV, I might use supersampling, but mine is nowhere NEAR that complex, nor is my vision of the finished product. After I rebuild several aspects of the engine I'll post some screenshots.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Nah, not gonna be an admin. Too busy for that anyway. Plus I hope I can get this Parallel and distributed ray tracing going. Would be good for te portfolio :)

: Thanks, guatam. Excellent reference material, as always. You should consider becoming an admin out here if you aren't already.
    :
    : After comparing supersampling and multisampling by viewing them both in action, I've decided on multisampling for now, and I might add a supersampling method later. I feel that multisampling yields better blending, while supersampling yields more contrast. If I was going for an engine with the graphics of Quake IV, I might use supersampling, but mine is nowhere NEAR that complex, nor is my vision of the finished product. After I rebuild several aspects of the engine I'll post some screenshots.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :