Data optimising? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Data optimising?

IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
Should I use a variable at two places for different purposes?

Like this:
[code]
int main(){
int a = 0;
for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
a *= i;

printf("%d", a);

for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
a += i;

printf("%d", a);
}
[/code]

But sometimes a lot more complex.
I made a neural network program, and I had a neuron class, wich had a float called output. Then I needed to store the error of the next layer for each neuron in that layer, and I used that value to make it easier.
Should I have done that?

It saves a lot of memmory, and code.

Most programmers I've seen doesn't do it like that. They would make a temporary value, or have two values.

For another example see the 'Urgent help with something' thread. I posted a good sullotion that used one variable. Then Steph posted a sullotion with two variables.

The only bad thing with it is that it's a little harder to understand for the programmer.

Comments

• stephlstephl Posts: 422Member
    : Should I use a variable at two places for different purposes?
    :
    : Like this:
    : [code]
    : int main(){
    : int a = 0;
    : for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
    : a *= i;
    :
    : printf("%d", a);
    :
    : a += i;
    :
    : }
    : [/code]
    :
    : But sometimes a lot more complex.
    : I made a neural network program, and I had a neuron class, wich had a float called output. Then I needed to store the error of the next layer for each neuron in that layer, and I used that value to make it easier.
    : Should I have done that?
    :
    : It saves a lot of memmory, and code.
    :
    : Most programmers I've seen doesn't do it like that. They would make a temporary value, or have two values.
    :
    : For another example see the 'Urgent help with something' thread. I posted a good sullotion that used one variable. Then Steph posted a sullotion with two variables.
    :
    : The only bad thing with it is that it's a little harder to understand for the programmer.
    :
    I agree with you. Most of the time I try to use the same variable for different purposes. But in this case it seems your solution does not work as wrote twik8701 in 'Urgent help with something'. I think there is an error in your conversion when you write:
    [code]
    cin >> ((char)title);
    [/code]

I only use C, so I am not sure about this because references do not exist in C. I think that the right operand of >> used with cin has to be a reference. But after your cast to (char), I think it is no more considered as a variable, but as a value; in fact, the value that is currently stored in title. I hope I am not talking nonsense. I am sure a C++ expert is going to explain this much better than I.

Steph.
  • anthrax11anthrax11 Posts: 511Member
    : Should I use a variable at two places for different purposes?
    :
    : Like this:
    : int main(){
    : int a = 0;
    : a *= i;
    :
    :
    : a += i;
    :
    : }
    :
    : But sometimes a lot more complex.
    : I made a neural network program, and I had a neuron class, wich had a float called output. Then I needed to store the error of the next layer for each neuron in that layer, and I used that value to make it easier.
    : Should I have done that?
    :
    : It saves a lot of memmory, and code.
    :
    : Most programmers I've seen doesn't do it like that. They would make a temporary value, or have two values.
    :
    : For another example see the 'Urgent help with something' thread. I posted a good sullotion that used one variable. Then Steph posted a sullotion with two variables.
    :
    : The only bad thing with it is that it's a little harder to understand for the programmer.
    :

I think it would be all right to use such a technique for larger data types like arrays and buffers. I don`t think it would be that benefitial for floats or integers, because 4 or 8 bytes is not such a large loss to worry about. Of course it depends on the compiler that puts it all together. I`d personally debug programs to see how they get compiled and act accordingly.

You should surely use two variables if working on the program in a team with many people involved. Others might not understand what you`re doing, even though [b]you[/b] might have a pretty good idea. Either way you should add a comment explaining how you`ve used the variables in different places.

As error codes aren`t floating point values in normal programs, integers should be used instead. Converting between floats and ints takes time and also more code.

It`s good that you dare to think abstract, but sometimes simpler solutions work better. Good luck!
  • IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
    : : Should I use a variable at two places for different purposes?
    : :
    : : Like this:
    : : [code]
    : : int main(){
    : : int a = 0;
    : : for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
    : : a *= i;
    : : printf("%d", a);
    : : for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
    : : a += i;
    : : printf("%d", a);
    : : }
    : : [/code]
    : : But sometimes a lot more complex.
    : : I made a neural network program, and I had a neuron class, wich had a float called output. Then I needed to store the error of the next layer for each neuron in that layer, and I used that value to make it easier.
    : : Should I have done that?
    : : It saves a lot of memmory, and code.
    : : Most programmers I've seen doesn't do it like that. They would make a temporary value, or have two values.
    : : For another example see the 'Urgent help with something' thread. I posted a good sullotion that used one variable. Then Steph posted a sullotion with two variables.
    : : The only bad thing with it is that it's a little harder to understand for the programmer.
    : I agree with you. Most of the time I try to use the same variable for different purposes. But in this case it seems your solution does not work as wrote twik8701 in 'Urgent help with something'. I think there is an error in your conversion when you write:
    : cin >> ((char)title);
    :
    : I only use C, so I am not sure about this because references do not exist in C. I think that the right operand of >> used with cin has to be a reference. But after your cast to (char), I think it is no more considered as a variable, but as a value; in fact, the value that is currently stored in title. I hope I am not talking nonsense. I am sure a C++ expert is going to explain this much better than I.
    :
    : Steph.
    :
    I wanted to use getChar(), but then I saw the program was in C++, so I made a quick conversion.
  • stephlstephl Posts: 422Member
    : : : Should I use a variable at two places for different purposes?
    : : :
    : : : Like this:
    : : : [code]
    : : : int main(){
    : : : int a = 0;
    : : : for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
    : : : a *= i;
    : : : printf("%d", a);
    : : : for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
    : : : a += i;
    : : : printf("%d", a);
    : : : }
    : : : [/code]
    : : : But sometimes a lot more complex.
    : : : I made a neural network program, and I had a neuron class, wich had a float called output. Then I needed to store the error of the next layer for each neuron in that layer, and I used that value to make it easier.
    : : : Should I have done that?
    : : : It saves a lot of memmory, and code.
    : : : Most programmers I've seen doesn't do it like that. They would make a temporary value, or have two values.
    : : : For another example see the 'Urgent help with something' thread. I posted a good sullotion that used one variable. Then Steph posted a sullotion with two variables.
    : : : The only bad thing with it is that it's a little harder to understand for the programmer.
    : : I agree with you. Most of the time I try to use the same variable for different purposes. But in this case it seems your solution does not work as wrote twik8701 in 'Urgent help with something'. I think there is an error in your conversion when you write:
    : : [code]
    : : cin >> ((char)title);
    : : [/code]
    : : I only use C, so I am not sure about this because references do not exist in C. I think that the right operand of >> used with cin has to be a reference. But after your cast to (char), I think it is no more considered as a variable, but as a value; in fact, the value that is currently stored in title. I hope I am not talking nonsense. I am sure a C++ expert is going to explain this much better than I.
    : : Steph.
    : I wanted to use getChar(), but then I saw the program was in C++, so I made a quick conversion.
    :
    OK, but I think there is a problem in the cast. I am not sure the type is char. Do you know what the proper type is as the right-hand part of 'cin>>'?

Steph
  • IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by IDK at 2006-6-3 8:16:22[/red][/b][hr]
    : Either way you should add a comment explaining how you`ve used the variables in different places.

I thought so too. It's always good to explain wierd code.

: As error codes aren`t floating point values in normal programs, integers should be used instead. Converting between floats and ints takes time and also more code.
    :
    When you speak of error in contex with neural networks, it means the difference between the guessed value and the right value. So it's a float.

A non NN programmer wouldnt know this.