How can I get the card symbols like Hearts and Clubs? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How can I get the card symbols like Hearts and Clubs?

FazFaz Posts: 75Member
I have made a card game in C++ and I stumbled across a set of symbols at run-time. I realised why, I had an array of 5 integers and the program was trying to retrieve the data from the 6th variable, which it shouldn't have done! I've fixed the problem now, but it was pointing to a set of symbols, which came from the location directly after the array, which could have been anything!

Anyway, these symbols that were appearing were conveniently exactly what I was after. I need the 4 symbols in a pack of cards, Clubs, Spades, Diamonds, and Hearts.

I was rather hoping it would be something simple like "s" for spades perhaps, like new line is "
".

Can someone please help me find these symbols?

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-5-31 6:7:8[/red][/b][hr]
    you might search these web pages

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=playing+card+graphics&btnG=Search

or you might install a new font that has them as replacement for some characters in the normal ascii character set.

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : I have made a card game in C++ and I stumbled across a set of symbols at run-time. I realised why, I had an array of 5 integers and the program was trying to retrieve the data from the 6th variable, which it shouldn't have done! I've fixed the problem now, but it was pointing to a set of symbols, which came from the location directly after the array, which could have been anything!
    :
    : Anyway, these symbols that were appearing were conveniently exactly what I was after. I need the 4 symbols in a pack of cards, Clubs, Spades, Diamonds, and Hearts.
    :
    : I was rather hoping it would be something simple like "s" for spades perhaps, like new line is "
    ".
    :
    : Can someone please help me find these symbols?
    :

They usually place them on top of the ASCII table, 0 to 32, which is reserved for non-printable symbols. However, the symbols are not standard, so they may vary on different systems. Here is a simple program to check what symbols are stored there on your system:

[code]
    #include

int main()
    {
    int i;
    for(i=0; i<32; i++)
    printf("%d: %c
    ", i, i);
    getchar();
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]

Expect a beep at 7 and a linefeed at 10 :)

The symbols you are looking for are most likely:

3 hearts
    4 diamonds
    5 clubs
    6 spades

meaning you could print them in strings as

'x03'
    'x04'
    'x05'
    'x06'

(note that these are hex values, not decimal)
  • FazFaz Posts: 75Member
    : : I have made a card game in C++ and I stumbled across a set of symbols at run-time. I realised why, I had an array of 5 integers and the program was trying to retrieve the data from the 6th variable, which it shouldn't have done! I've fixed the problem now, but it was pointing to a set of symbols, which came from the location directly after the array, which could have been anything!
    : :
    : : Anyway, these symbols that were appearing were conveniently exactly what I was after. I need the 4 symbols in a pack of cards, Clubs, Spades, Diamonds, and Hearts.
    : : I was rather hoping it would be something simple like "s" for spades perhaps, like new line is "
    ".
    : : Can someone please help me find these symbols?
    :
    :
    : They usually place them on top of the ASCII table, 0 to 32, which is reserved for non-printable symbols. However, the symbols are not standard, so they may vary on different systems. Here is a simple program to check what symbols are stored there on your system:
    :
    : [code]
    : #include
    :
    : int main()
    : {
    : int i;
    : for(i=0; i<32; i++)
    : printf("%d: %c
    ", i, i);
    : getchar();
    : return 0;
    : }
    : [/code]
    :
    : Expect a beep at 7 and a linefeed at 10 :)
    :
    : The symbols you are looking for are most likely:
    :
    : 3 hearts
    : 4 diamonds
    : 5 clubs
    : 6 spades
    :
    : meaning you could print them in strings as
    :
    : 'x03'
    : 'x04'
    : 'x05'
    : 'x06'
    :
    : (note that these are hex values, not decimal)
    :

Excellent, thanks.