Redirecting From stdout - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Redirecting From stdout

sandeept_24sandeept_24 Posts: 8Member
I want to redirect output of printf and perror to a file in a C program. Please anyone help me how to do it. I also tried this by the help of system() funtion but it did not work.
For example i want to print the messages below to a file without using fprintf. Even if the file is opened.

fp=fopen("abc.txt","w");

printf("
Hai How are You ?
");
perror("
I AM HERE
");

I want that both the above statements should write into the file abc.txt not at stdout or stderr ie console.
Please help. Thanks

Comments

• tsagldtsagld Posts: 621Member
    : I want to redirect output of printf and perror to a file in a C program. Please anyone help me how to do it. I also tried this by the help of system() funtion but it did not work.
    : For example i want to print the messages below to a file without using fprintf. Even if the file is opened.
    :
    : fp=fopen("abc.txt","w");
    :
    : printf("
    Hai How are You ?
    ");
    : perror("
    I AM HERE
    ");
    :
    :
    : I want that both the above statements should write into the file abc.txt not at stdout or stderr ie console.
    : Please help. Thanks
    :
    :
    Use the freopen function:
    [code]
    stream = freopen( "abc.tct", "w", stdout );
    [/code]

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-5-19 7:46:32[/red][/b][hr]
    : I want to redirect output of printf and perror to a file in a C program. Please anyone help me how to do it. I also tried this by the help of system() funtion but it did not work.
    : For example i want to print the messages below to a file without using fprintf. Even if the file is opened.
    :
    : fp=fopen("abc.txt","w");
    :
    : printf("
    Hai How are You ?
    ");
    : perror("
    I AM HERE
    ");
    :
    :
    : I want that both the above statements should write into the file abc.txt not at stdout or stderr ie console.
    : Please help. Thanks
    :
    :
    :

you are using the wrong function.
    fprintf(fp,"
    Hai How are You ?
    ");

perror goes to stderr, not to a file. So you have to call freopen() as previously suggested.
    stream = freopen( "abc.tct", "w", stderr );

see the example program here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HTML/_crt_freopen.2c_._wfreopen.asp

• tsagldtsagld Posts: 621Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-5-19 7:46:32[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I want to redirect output of printf and perror to a file in a C program. Please anyone help me how to do it. I also tried this by the help of system() funtion but it did not work.
    : : For example i want to print the messages below to a file without using fprintf. Even if the file is opened.
    : :
    : : fp=fopen("abc.txt","w");
    : : printf("
    Hai How are You ?
    ");
    : : perror("
    I AM HERE
    ");
    : : I want that both the above statements should write into the file abc.txt not at stdout or stderr ie console.
    : : Please help. Thanks
    :
    :
    : you are using the wrong function.
    : fprintf(fp,"
    Hai How are You ?
    ");
    :
    : perror goes to stderr, not to a file. So you have to call freopen() as previously suggested.
    : stream = freopen( "abc.tct", "w", stderr );
    :
    : see the example program here:
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HTML/_crt_freopen.2c_._wfreopen.asp
    :
    :
    :
    :
    He mentioned that he didn't want to use fprintf. So I figured he knows that function and has some argument not to use it.

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : He mentioned that he didn't want to use fprintf. So I figured he knows that function and has some argument not to use it.
    :

this seems to work
    [code]
    #include
    #include

int main()
    {
    FILE* stream1 = freopen( "d:\abc.txt", "w", stdout );
    FILE* stream2 = freopen( "d:\abc.txt", "a+", stderr );
    printf("Hello there
    ");
    perror(NULL);