Need some help - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Need some help

CarmichaelCarmichael Posts: 2Member
Hey there

I'm all fairly new when it comes to programming and don't know much at all, but for an assignment I need to write a pascal program that will allow a user to type a short sentance and then when they press enter it will display relevant ASCII values, example being:

User input = Good Day

Output screen = 71 111 111 100 32 68 97 121

I have been able to do it so that one character can be inputted and outputted, but can't do it for multiple one's, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Carmichael

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hey there
    :
    : I'm all fairly new when it comes to programming and don't know much at all, but for an assignment I need to write a pascal program that will allow a user to type a short sentance and then when they press enter it will display relevant ASCII values, example being:
    :
    : User input = Good Day
    :
    : Output screen = 71 111 111 100 32 68 97 121
    :
    : I have been able to do it so that one character can be inputted and outputted, but can't do it for multiple one's, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
    :
    : Carmichael
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Create a for-do loop, which loops through all the characters in the user input, and for each of those characters use the code you got.
    Hint 1: a string is a 1-based array of char. Implicitly defined as:
    [code]
    type
    string: array[1..255] of char;
    [/code]
    Hint 2: Use Length() to get the number of chars.
  • CarmichaelCarmichael Posts: 2Member
    I appreciate your input my friend, and I know you are probably talking in very simplistic terms, but when it comes to programming I hardly make layman level at the moment, so sadly even basic talk can go over my head.

I wrote a very very basic bare bones program that will do it for one character input, as follows:

program ascii;

uses
    crt;

var
    sentence:char;
    exit_out:string;

begin

writeln ('Please type a sentence');
    readln (sentence);
    clrscr;
    writeln (ord(sentence));
    readkey;

end.

But of course it doesn't work for an entire sentance, how would I utilise and impliment loops etc to make it do what I want it to, I wouldn't even know where to start tinkering with it.

Carmichael

: : Hey there
    : :
    : : I'm all fairly new when it comes to programming and don't know much at all, but for an assignment I need to write a pascal program that will allow a user to type a short sentance and then when they press enter it will display relevant ASCII values, example being:
    : : User input = Good Day
    : : Output screen = 71 111 111 100 32 68 97 121
    : : I have been able to do it so that one character can be inputted and outputted, but can't do it for multiple one's, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
    : : Carmichael
    : Create a for-do loop, which loops through all the characters in the user input, and for each of those characters use the code you got.
    : Hint 1: a string is a 1-based array of char. Implicitly defined as:
    : [code]
    : type
    : string: array[1..255] of char;
    : [/code]
    : Hint 2: Use Length() to get the number of chars.
    :

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2006-5-6 7:23:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : I appreciate your input my friend, and I know you are probably talking in very simplistic terms, but when it comes to programming I hardly make layman level at the moment, so sadly even basic talk can go over my head.
    :
    : I wrote a very very basic bare bones program that will do it for one character input, as follows:
    :
    [code]
    : program ascii;
    :
    : uses
    : crt;
    :
    : var
    : sentence:char;
    : exit_out:string;
    :
    : begin
    :
    : writeln ('Please type a sentence');
    : readln (sentence);
    : clrscr;
    [red]for i := 1 to length(sentence) do
    writeln (ord(sentence[i]));[/red]
    : readkey;
    :
    : end.
    [/code]
    :
    : But of course it doesn't work for an entire sentance, how would I utilise and impliment loops etc to make it do what I want it to, I wouldn't even know where to start tinkering with it.
    :
    : Carmichael
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : : Hey there
    : : :
    : : : I'm all fairly new when it comes to programming and don't know much at all, but for an assignment I need to write a pascal program that will allow a user to type a short sentance and then when they press enter it will display relevant ASCII values, example being:
    : : : User input = Good Day
    : : : Output screen = 71 111 111 100 32 68 97 121
    : : : I have been able to do it so that one character can be inputted and outputted, but can't do it for multiple one's, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
    : : : Carmichael
    : : Create a for-do loop, which loops through all the characters in the user input, and for each of those characters use the code you got.
    : : Hint 1: a string is a 1-based array of char. Implicitly defined as:
    : : [code]
    : : type
    : : string: array[1..255] of char;
    : : [/code]
    : : Hint 2: Use Length() to get the number of chars.
    :
    :
    See the red part.