Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

DOS Question

AmandaPaysAmandaPays Member Posts: 5
Sorry, I think I posted my other DOS question in error. What I want to do is know how to put DOS on a computer that does not HAVE DOS, such as a new computer I will be purchasing with probably Win XP on it and now DOS. I have no disks.. Also wondering if DOS can be put on a Mac.

Thanks,
Amanda

Comments

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    There are many options. The traditional one would be to create another partition on your hard drive just for DOS but it can be hard for someone who hasn't done anything like that before and you would be limited to running one OS at a time. Probably the most viable solution would be to go with some sort of emulation using DosBox (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52551) which I recommend the most, Bochs, Qemu, or Vmware since you just need an image file and it would run from within your favorite OS. Using emulation you could also use DOS on a Mac given that the emulator has been ported to it, which DosBox is.
  • casio-games.tkcasio-games.tk Member Posts: 35
    [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-6-3 7:2:8[/red][/b][hr]
    : There are many options. The traditional one would be to create another partition on your hard drive just for DOS but it can be hard for someone who hasn't done anything like that before and you would be limited to running one OS at a time. Probably the most viable solution would be to go with some sort of emulation using DosBox (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52551) which I recommend the most, Bochs, Qemu, or Vmware since you just need an image file and it would run from within your favorite OS. Using emulation you could also use DOS on a Mac given that the emulator has been ported to it, which DosBox is.
    :

It is already included DOS with windows 2000 and windows xp.
    [b]ntvdm.exe[/b]
    Whats the problem with that DOS? Just wondering, cos i can run different dosprograms on all computers (with windows) i have tried with... :-O
    [hr][hr]
    Don't write pH, write Ph!

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    NT-based Windows don't run all DOS programs well, one example is MPXPLAY and also a lot of old games. A Mac can't run DOS natively unless it's an Intel Mac, and you would have to dual boot which could be less than convenient.
  • AmandaPaysAmandaPays Member Posts: 5
    : [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-6-3 7:2:8[/red][/b][hr]
    : : There are many options. The traditional one would be to create another partition on your hard drive just for DOS but it can be hard for someone who hasn't done anything like that before and you would be limited to running one OS at a time. Probably the most viable solution would be to go with some sort of emulation using DosBox (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52551) which I recommend the most, Bochs, Qemu, or Vmware since you just need an image file and it would run from within your favorite OS. Using emulation you could also use DOS on a Mac given that the emulator has been ported to it, which DosBox is.
    : :
    :
    : It is already included DOS with windows 2000 and windows xp.
    : [b]ntvdm.exe[/b]
    : Whats the problem with that DOS? Just wondering, cos i can run different dosprograms on all computers (with windows) i have tried with... :-O
    : [hr][hr]
    : Don't write pH, write Ph!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• AmandaPaysAmandaPays Member Posts: 5
    There is no specific "problem" with DOS - someone told me I'd have to put it on the new computer they no longer have DOS loaded. I use a DOS word processing program (Xywrite) for a job I have and thought I'd have to load DOS onto the new computer which I haven't bought yet and had NO clue how to do it. I have an old PC with Win 2000/NT which I'll probably just continue to use for that Xywrite program, rather than stressing about partitioning, etc. Thanks for the info!

:
    :