Forcing repaint in a loop with a delay

Hi all,
I am writing a game for my first java program. I want to paint each time a loop executes with a small delay in between to create a cascade effect on screen. I believe that the effeciency routines in the system are collapsing the calls to repaint() into a single call. At any rate, the changes all occur at once after the total delay. Is there some way to force the system to repaint immediately and then delay on each iteration of the loop?

Here is the loop code:

for (row=row;row<gridRows-1;row++) {
if (row == gridRows - 1 || col == 0) break;
if (tiles[row+1][col-1] == null) break;
Tile14.move(tiles[row+1][col-1],tiles[row][col]);
repaint();
try {
Thread.sleep(200);
}
catch (InterruptedException e) {}
col--;
}
Tile14.move(holdTile,tiles[row][col]);
repaint();

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• : Hi all,
    : I am writing a game for my first java program. I want to paint each time a loop executes with a small delay in between to create a cascade effect on screen. I believe that the effeciency routines in the system are collapsing the calls to repaint() into a single call. At any rate, the changes all occur at once after the total delay. Is there some way to force the system to repaint immediately and then delay on each iteration of the loop?
    :
    : Here is the loop code:
    :
    : for (row=row;row<gridRows-1;row++) {
    : if (row == gridRows - 1 || col == 0) break;
    : if (tiles[row+1][col-1] == null) break;
    : Tile14.move(tiles[row+1][col-1],tiles[row][col]);
    : repaint();
    : try {
    : Thread.sleep(200);
    : }
    : catch (InterruptedException e) {}
    : col--;
    : Tile14.move(holdTile,tiles[row][col]);
    :
    : Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    :
    What makes the loop execute? I had a problem in my Breakout game where if you moved the mouse cursor everything went slow. I fixed by only letting it update every 5th cycle[code]if(toggle==5)
    {
    //move everything
    }
    else
    {
    toggle++
    }[/code]
    Maybe (if the situation allows) you can put a toggle system in?
  • : Hi all,
    : I am writing a game for my first java program. I want to paint each time a loop executes with a small delay in between to create a cascade effect on screen. I believe that the effeciency routines in the system are collapsing the calls to repaint() into a single call. At any rate, the changes all occur at once after the total delay. Is there some way to force the system to repaint immediately and then delay on each iteration of the loop?
    :
    : Here is the loop code:
    :
    : for (row=row;row<gridRows-1;row++) {
    : if (row == gridRows - 1 || col == 0) break;
    : if (tiles[row+1][col-1] == null) break;
    : Tile14.move(tiles[row+1][col-1],tiles[row][col]);
    : try {
    : Thread.sleep(200);
    : catch (InterruptedException e) {}
    : col--;
    : Tile14.move(holdTile,tiles[row][col]);
    :
    : Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    :

I was pulling my hair out over the same issue a while ago - until I just gave in and placed a large chunk of "control" code actually inside the paint() method.

There are limitations to this way of doing things, but as a quick fix it certainly worked :-)

Matty
    matty@i-compute.net