Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Anybody writing a 3d engine

gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    :
    :
    Guatam! You should know by now that I have a nice GL/AL thing going on! I currently have it in a disabled state as I am adding more optimized code for the loading of areas. I still need to figure out animation and such, but You can get into a static 3D world (well, animated 2D textures) with 2D or 3D sound and move around. No collision-detection yet because I don't have the math to code it.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Yes I know you were writing one - for collision you could just use a physics engine to do it for you. Put the whole world into a nice polygon soup within a physics engine and let the physics take care of it. The physics engine will build your collision data of the triangle data you input.

I am myself starting to write a new revolutionary(hopefully) renderer.

: : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    : :
    : Guatam! You should know by now that I have a nice GL/AL thing going on! I currently have it in a disabled state as I am adding more optimized code for the loading of areas. I still need to figure out animation and such, but You can get into a static 3D world (well, animated 2D textures) with 2D or 3D sound and move around. No collision-detection yet because I don't have the math to code it.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

• SnookerLoopySnookerLoopy Member Posts: 41
    : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    :
    :

I wrote my first version of a 3D Engine last month, just called My3DEngine. I wrote completely in Java (not Java3D) because I didn't like working with Java3D, and I wanted to thoroughly understand 3D graphics concepts, and wanted complete control over everything - from the ground up. In fact, it's actually turned into a piece of 3D modelling software, with full(ish) modelling functionality - I just need to get round to writing instructions...

Anyway, check it out if you're interested: http://www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine.php

I haven't put a download link on the site, but I will send you (or anyone) a copy of the software if they ask.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and I'd also be interested in hearing about any stuff that you're doing also :-)

Matty
    matty@i-compute.net
    Hi,

It looks good. How well does it run considering that its written in Java. Does it lag in any aspect with respect to the user interface.
    I am working on a new 3D renderer now.

: : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    :
    : I wrote my first version of a 3D Engine last month, just called My3DEngine. I wrote completely in Java (not Java3D) because I didn't like working with Java3D, and I wanted to thoroughly understand 3D graphics concepts, and wanted complete control over everything - from the ground up. In fact, it's actually turned into a piece of 3D modelling software, with full(ish) modelling functionality - I just need to get round to writing instructions...
    :
    : Anyway, check it out if you're interested: http://www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine.php
    :
    : I haven't put a download link on the site, but I will send you (or anyone) a copy of the software if they ask.
    :
    : I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and I'd also be interested in hearing about any stuff that you're doing also :-)
    :
    : Matty
    : matty@i-compute.net
    :

[b][red]This message was edited by SnookerLoopy at 2006-5-13 12:19:13[/red][/b][hr]
    Hello there,

It runs pretty well, even considering some of the over-elaborate rendering routines it uses (I've not begun to optimise it yet - I can't face working on it again for a while yet!). I guess it starts to suffer a little when the number of surfaces gets even moderately high, but I'll worry about that in the future. The user interface is fine, no problems at all (might be a bit hard to figure out without instructions. I can be quite cryptic).

As a piece of modelling software, it gets the job done, and it exports the object data as a file that could possibly be used by a more powerful rendering application. But that's something for the future.

I've put it up available for download now, if anyone's interested: www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine_download.php

Now tell me a bit about your renderer :-)

Matty
    matty@i-compute.net

: Hi,
    :
    : It looks good. How well does it run considering that its written in Java. Does it lag in any aspect with respect to the user interface.
    : I am working on a new 3D renderer now.
    :
    :
    :
    : : : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    : : :
    : : I wrote my first version of a 3D Engine last month, just called My3DEngine. I wrote completely in Java (not Java3D) because I didn't like working with Java3D, and I wanted to thoroughly understand 3D graphics concepts, and wanted complete control over everything - from the ground up. In fact, it's actually turned into a piece of 3D modelling software, with full(ish) modelling functionality - I just need to get round to writing instructions...
    : : Anyway, check it out if you're interested: http://www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine.php
    : : I haven't put a download link on the site, but I will send you (or anyone) a copy of the software if they ask.
    : : I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and I'd also be interested in hearing about any stuff that you're doing also :-)
    : : Matty
    : : matty@i-compute.net
    :
    :

I am starting to work on a new renderer which will hopefully sellable by the end of the year. Working on a renderer which can make use of the PPU as well as the GPU to do fast math calculation(hopefully). There are some other plans as well.

: [b][red]This message was edited by SnookerLoopy at 2006-5-13 12:19:13[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hello there,
    :
    : It runs pretty well, even considering some of the over-elaborate rendering routines it uses (I've not begun to optimise it yet - I can't face working on it again for a while yet!). I guess it starts to suffer a little when the number of surfaces gets even moderately high, but I'll worry about that in the future. The user interface is fine, no problems at all (might be a bit hard to figure out without instructions. I can be quite cryptic).
    :
    : As a piece of modelling software, it gets the job done, and it exports the object data as a file that could possibly be used by a more powerful rendering application. But that's something for the future.
    :
    : I've put it up available for download now, if anyone's interested: www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine_download.php
    :
    : Now tell me a bit about your renderer :-)
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : Hi,
    : : It looks good. How well does it run considering that its written in Java. Does it lag in any aspect with respect to the user interface.
    : : I am working on a new 3D renderer now.
    : : : : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    : : : :
    : : : I wrote my first version of a 3D Engine last month, just called My3DEngine. I wrote completely in Java (not Java3D) because I didn't like working with Java3D, and I wanted to thoroughly understand 3D graphics concepts, and wanted complete control over everything - from the ground up. In fact, it's actually turned into a piece of 3D modelling software, with full(ish) modelling functionality - I just need to get round to writing instructions...
    : : : Anyway, check it out if you're interested: http://www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine.php
    : : : I haven't put a download link on the site, but I will send you (or anyone) a copy of the software if they ask.
    : : : I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and I'd also be interested in hearing about any stuff that you're doing also :-)
    : : : Matty
    : : : matty@i-compute.net
    :
    :
    :
    :

Sounds way too complex for me, Gautam! I can just about deal with 'software-only' concepts - the idea of having to deal with the specifics of hardware is just unthinkable for me! Hope everything goes well with the development :-)

When you make some progress, make sure you post about it on here!

Matty
    matty@i-compute.net

: I am starting to work on a new renderer which will hopefully sellable by the end of the year. Working on a renderer which can make use of the PPU as well as the GPU to do fast math calculation(hopefully). There are some other plans as well.
    :
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by SnookerLoopy at 2006-5-13 12:19:13[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hello there,
    : : It runs pretty well, even considering some of the over-elaborate rendering routines it uses (I've not begun to optimise it yet - I can't face working on it again for a while yet!). I guess it starts to suffer a little when the number of surfaces gets even moderately high, but I'll worry about that in the future. The user interface is fine, no problems at all (might be a bit hard to figure out without instructions. I can be quite cryptic).
    : : As a piece of modelling software, it gets the job done, and it exports the object data as a file that could possibly be used by a more powerful rendering application. But that's something for the future.
    : : I've put it up available for download now, if anyone's interested: www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine_download.php
    : : Now tell me a bit about your renderer :-)
    : : Matty
    : : matty@i-compute.net
    : : : Hi,
    : : : It looks good. How well does it run considering that its written in Java. Does it lag in any aspect with respect to the user interface.
    : : : I am working on a new 3D renderer now.
    : : : : : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    : : : : :
    : : : : I wrote my first version of a 3D Engine last month, just called My3DEngine. I wrote completely in Java (not Java3D) because I didn't like working with Java3D, and I wanted to thoroughly understand 3D graphics concepts, and wanted complete control over everything - from the ground up. In fact, it's actually turned into a piece of 3D modelling software, with full(ish) modelling functionality - I just need to get round to writing instructions...
    : : : : Anyway, check it out if you're interested: http://www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine.php
    : : : : I haven't put a download link on the site, but I will send you (or anyone) a copy of the software if they ask.
    : : : : I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and I'd also be interested in hearing about any stuff that you're doing also :-)
    : : : : Matty
    : : : : matty@i-compute.net
    :
    :

[b][red]This message was edited by gautam at 2006-5-18 3:42:26[/red][/b][hr]
    Yeah, complex for me too - first time trying to make a renderer this way :). Well I guess everyone has a first time.

: Sounds way too complex for me, Gautam! I can just about deal with 'software-only' concepts - the idea of having to deal with the specifics of hardware is just unthinkable for me! Hope everything goes well with the development :-)
    :
    : When you make some progress, make sure you post about it on here!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : I am starting to work on a new renderer which will hopefully sellable by the end of the year. Working on a renderer which can make use of the PPU as well as the GPU to do fast math calculation(hopefully). There are some other plans as well.
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by SnookerLoopy at 2006-5-13 12:19:13[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hello there,
    : : : It runs pretty well, even considering some of the over-elaborate rendering routines it uses (I've not begun to optimise it yet - I can't face working on it again for a while yet!). I guess it starts to suffer a little when the number of surfaces gets even moderately high, but I'll worry about that in the future. The user interface is fine, no problems at all (might be a bit hard to figure out without instructions. I can be quite cryptic).
    : : : As a piece of modelling software, it gets the job done, and it exports the object data as a file that could possibly be used by a more powerful rendering application. But that's something for the future.
    : : : I've put it up available for download now, if anyone's interested: www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine_download.php
    : : : Now tell me a bit about your renderer :-)
    : : : Matty
    : : : matty@i-compute.net
    : : : : Hi,
    : : : : It looks good. How well does it run considering that its written in Java. Does it lag in any aspect with respect to the user interface.
    : : : : I am working on a new 3D renderer now.
    : : : : : : At the moment is anybody writing a 3d engine ? Just asking out of curiosity.
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : I wrote my first version of a 3D Engine last month, just called My3DEngine. I wrote completely in Java (not Java3D) because I didn't like working with Java3D, and I wanted to thoroughly understand 3D graphics concepts, and wanted complete control over everything - from the ground up. In fact, it's actually turned into a piece of 3D modelling software, with full(ish) modelling functionality - I just need to get round to writing instructions...
    : : : : : Anyway, check it out if you're interested: http://www.i-compute.net/projects_My3DEngine.php
    : : : : : I haven't put a download link on the site, but I will send you (or anyone) a copy of the software if they ask.
    : : : : : I'd be interested to hear your opinions, and I'd also be interested in hearing about any stuff that you're doing also :-)
    : : : : : Matty
    : : : : : matty@i-compute.net