Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Sauqre calculation & Simplify

tokoGtokoG Posts: 209Member
Hi!

Have some questions. Could anybody please advise?

This is so called modular programming I think, I just need to finished coding one function.
The whole programme promts the user to enter the numerator and denominator, then squares it, simplies it, then value return back to the main to print the result.

[b]If you enter...[/b]
[blue]
scanf("%d", &temp.numerator); (....2 for example)
scanf("%d", &temp.denominator); (....3 for example)
[/blue]

[b]Then the output is;[/b]
[blue]
The sauqre of [b]2/3[/b] is [b]4/9[/b]
[/blue]

Pls let me know if you need to see the entire code then I will post but this is the function I need to code in [b][red]red[/red][/b].

[code]
RATIONAL rat_simplify(RATIONAL a) {
int temp_hcf;
RATIONAL temp;

temp_hcf = HCF (a.numerator, a.denominator);
temp.numerator = a.numerator / temp_hcf;
temp.denominator = a.denominator /temp_hcf;
return temp;
}
[red]
RATIONAL squareRational (RATIONAL rat)
{
RATIONAL temp;

[b]
/**** BELOW : CODE MY SELF*******/
//Calculate the square
temp.numerator = rat.numerator * rat.numerator;
temp.denominator = rat.denominator * rat.denominator;

temp = rat_simplify (temp); //Pass the values to the function to simplify

/**** ABOVE: CODE MY SELF****/
[/b]

return temp;//Return squared value back to the main
} [/red]
[/code]

1) User input of numerator(2) and denominator(3) are being passed to the function in the parameter [b]RATIONAL rat[/b]
2) After the calculation, I need to simplify it. For numerator 2 and denominator 3, there is no need to simplify but for example if that was 6/9, the result is 36/16, so it should be simplified to 9/4 in the function [b]rat_simplify[/b]

[b][red]My question is,[/b][/red]
Can I use the same [b]temp[/b] to receive the value back from the function rat_simplify and pass it back to the main?.... or, should I change the variable name? But then, it's in the template that I need to return the [italic]variable [b]temp[/b][/italic] .

Thanks!!

Comments

• tsagldtsagld Posts: 621Member
    : Hi!
    :
    : Have some questions. Could anybody please advise?
    :
    : This is so called modular programming I think, I just need to finished coding one function.
    : The whole programme promts the user to enter the numerator and denominator, then squares it, simplies it, then value return back to the main to print the result.
    :
    :
    : [b]If you enter...[/b]
    : [blue]
    : scanf("%d", &temp.numerator); (....2 for example)
    : scanf("%d", &temp.denominator); (....3 for example)
    : [/blue]
    :
    : [b]Then the output is;[/b]
    : The sauqre of [b]2/3[/b] is [b]4/9[/b]
    :
    :
    : Pls let me know if you need to see the entire code then I will post but this is the function I need to code in [b][red]red[/red][/b].
    :
    : [code]
    : RATIONAL rat_simplify(RATIONAL a) {
    : int temp_hcf;
    : RATIONAL temp;
    :
    : temp_hcf = HCF (a.numerator, a.denominator);
    : temp.numerator = a.numerator / temp_hcf;
    : temp.denominator = a.denominator /temp_hcf;
    : return temp;
    : }
    : [red]
    : RATIONAL squareRational (RATIONAL rat)
    : {
    : RATIONAL temp;
    :
    : [b]
    : /**** BELOW : CODE MY SELF*******/
    : //Calculate the square
    : temp.numerator = rat.numerator * rat.numerator;
    : temp.denominator = rat.denominator * rat.denominator;
    :
    : temp = rat_simplify (temp); //Pass the values to the function to simplify
    :
    : /**** ABOVE: CODE MY SELF****/
    : [/b]
    :
    : return temp;//Return squared value back to the main
    : } [/red]
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    : 1) User input of numerator(2) and denominator(3) are being passed to the function in the parameter [b]RATIONAL rat[/b]
    : 2) After the calculation, I need to simplify it. For numerator 2 and denominator 3, there is no need to simplify but for example if that was 6/9, the result is 36/16, so it should be simplified to 9/4 in the function [b]rat_simplify[/b]
    :
    : [b][red]My question is,[/b][/red]
    : Can I use the same [b]temp[/b] to receive the value back from the function rat_simplify and pass it back to the main?.... or, should I change the variable name? But then, it's in the template that I need to return the [italic]variable [b]temp[/b][/italic] .
    :
    [blue]
    Sure you can use the same variable name. They have the same name but are different variables, because they are declared in the function itself. I.e. 'local variables'. Passing the variables between functions only passes the value of the variables. They get copied from one variable to another.
    Your code seems fine.
    [/blue]

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

• tokoGtokoG Posts: 209Member
    : Sure you can use the same variable name. They have the same name but are different variables, because they are declared in the function itself. I.e. 'local variables'. Passing the variables between functions only passes the value of the variables. They get copied from one variable to another.
    : Your code seems fine.
    :

Hi Eric

Thanks for the advice.
    Yes my code worked fine!! Yepiee!!! So happy!!
    Understand about the 'local variable'. :)

tokoG