What is a BSP

Hi,

I am new to embedded systems/RTOS and heard the term BSP quite a lot. What exactly is a BSP and when do you need to work on it.

Comments

• : Hi,
    :
    : I am new to embedded systems/RTOS and heard the term BSP quite a lot. What exactly is a BSP and when do you need to work on it.
    :
    :
    :
    Ever heard of google?

Wikipedia is good to:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_space_partitioning

Happy coding wishes
    the one and only
    [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]

• : Hi,
    :
    : I am new to embedded systems/RTOS and heard the term BSP quite a
    : lot. What exactly is a BSP and when do you need to work on it.
    :
    :
    :

I think you're refering to the 'Board Support Package'. This usually refers to the OS, and the board-specific drivers in the OS. The BSP is the first thing that must be built in order for an embedded system to work.
  • : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I am new to embedded systems/RTOS and heard the term BSP quite a
    : : lot. What exactly is a BSP and when do you need to work on it.
    :
    : I think you're refering to the 'Board Support Package'. This
    : usually refers to the OS, and the board-specific drivers in the OS.
    : The BSP is the first thing that must be built in order for an
    : embedded system to work.
    :
    To further add on it, "Board Support Package" is peice of SW that allow access from the OS and application SW to the underlying target HW. Normally its a abstraction of C/C++ and assembly routines that allow generic OS interface with various embedded processors. It also contains various device drivers.In summary, the main responsibilities of BSP are to Initialize the hardware, Provide a start point for the RTOS, Place the board in a known state and Start the kernel and application code.