Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

web design

I am currently at the intermediate stage of HTML. I would like to get a lot better at the whole web design thing but there is just seemingly to much to cover. I would like to get to the point where I can create professional business web sites. I would like to be able to create sites with general databases, registered user databases, message boards, shopping carts CGI programs and so on and so on. When I start to study topics like this I get led from html to xhtml, to asp, and then to perl and php, and from there to SQL and then to java and on to java script. It's really starting to get to big and I don't know what to study. Can I please get some feedback on the fewest needed languages that I can use and get the best benefit? Thanks all.
O, and what is the difference between Perl and PHP?
One more thing, can I use C++ to create CGI programs, that is if I could write in C++.

Comments

• aaronjones3593aaronjones3593 Member Posts: 122
    : I am currently at the intermediate stage of HTML. I would like to get a lot better at the whole web design thing but there is just seemingly to much to cover. I would like to get to the point where I can create professional business web sites. I would like to be able to create sites with general databases, registered user databases, message boards, shopping carts CGI programs and so on and so on. When I start to study topics like this I get led from html to xhtml, to asp, and then to perl and php, and from there to SQL and then to java and on to java script. It's really starting to get to big and I don't know what to study. Can I please get some feedback on the fewest needed languages that I can use and get the best benefit? Thanks all.
    : O, and what is the difference between Perl and PHP?
    : One more thing, can I use C++ to create CGI programs, that is if I could write in C++.
    :
    :
    :

If you're looking to create professional websites, make sure you know CSS. Also, because CSS is tied in with HTML you may already know this, but if you don't you will be able to learn it easily. If you are looking to create a website dynamically driven by a database of any kind, learn either ASP or PHP. Those are server side languages capable of communicating with databases and editing them. If you are looking to learn any programming language, this site offers tutorials and code snippets but www.w3schools.com is a good website.

-( Aaron )-

"Alcohol aint the answer, but atleast you forget the question"