Structures - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Structures

Ben LauritsonBen Lauritson Posts: 87Member
Is there any way to pass a reference to a structure without knowing what type of structure it is? For example:

[code]
struct OneStruct
{
int One;
int Two;
}onestruct;

struct TwoStruct
{
int Three;
int Four;
}twostruct;
[/code]

Is there a pointer type that can hold a reference to one of these structures without knowing which one it is? Let's say I wanted one function to deal with both types:

[code]
void MyFunc()
{
//Do whatever
}
[/code]

Assuming I had a parameter to tell me which type of structure was being passed to it (e.g. an integer value), is there another parameter that would accept any reference? I tried to use void *, however I can't access the structure members with that. So is that possible within a single function, or would I need a separate function for each structure type?

Apologies if I haven't expressed myself clearly enough.

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : Is there any way to pass a reference to a structure without knowing what type of structure it is? For example:
    :
    : [code]
    : struct OneStruct
    : {
    : int One;
    : int Two;
    : }onestruct;
    :
    : struct TwoStruct
    : int Three;
    : int Four;
    : }twostruct;
    : [/code]
    :
    : Is there a pointer type that can hold a reference to one of these structures without knowing which one it is? Let's say I wanted one function to deal with both types:
    :
    : void MyFunc()
    : //Do whatever
    : }
    :
    : Assuming I had a parameter to tell me which type of structure was being passed to it (e.g. an integer value), is there another parameter that would accept any reference? I tried to use void *, however I can't access the structure members with that. So is that possible within a single function, or would I need a separate function for each structure type?
    :
    : Apologies if I haven't expressed myself clearly enough.
    :

I think I might use a union of the two structures
    union outer_struct
    {
    struct OneStruct
    {
    int One;
    int Two;
    }onestruct;

struct TwoStruct
    {
    int Three;
    int Four;
    }twostruct;
    };
    [/code]

since both structures in that union occupy the same space at the same time you cannot use them both at the same time -- only one or the other. Since both structures have identical size and contents, changing onestruct.One will make an identical change to twostruct.Three.

The program that uses that union will have to be aware of this structure it needs to use.

• ledaslledasl Posts: 30Member
    If you work in C++ you can make base struct (class) and from him derive structures

struct BaseStruct {}

struct OneStruct : public BaseStruct
    {
    } onestruct;
    struct TwoStruct : public BaseStruct
    {
    }twostruct;

void MyFunc(BaseStruct mystruct)
    {
    }

But you must known what type you are using before casting into this type.
    With exactly structure it work fine

void MyFunc(BaseStruct& s)
    {
    OneStruct* one = static_cast(&s);
    std::cout << one->One << std::endl;
    std::cout << one->Two << std::endl;
    }

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
    onestruct.One = 1;
    onestruct.Two = 2;
    twostruct.Four = 4;
    twostruct.Three = 3;

MyFunc(onestruct);
    MyFunc(twostruct);

return 0;
    }

output:

but if you have diferent structures, then it works bad.
    You can use void (to save pointer to structures), but before call member of structure you need casting to structure type.

: Is there any way to pass a reference to a structure without knowing what type of structure it is? For example:
    :
    : struct OneStruct
    : int One;
    : int Two;
    : }onestruct;
    :
    : struct TwoStruct
    : int Three;
    : int Four;
    : }twostruct;
    :
    : Is there a pointer type that can hold a reference to one of these structures without knowing which one it is? Let's say I wanted one function to deal with both types:
    :
    : void MyFunc()
    : //Do whatever
    : }
    :
    : Assuming I had a parameter to tell me which type of structure was being passed to it (e.g. an integer value), is there another parameter that would accept any reference? I tried to use void *, however I can't access the structure members with that. So is that possible within a single function, or would I need a separate function for each structure type?
    :
    : Apologies if I haven't expressed myself clearly enough.
    :