index corrupt ORC 8i ??

Hello,

I have a general discussion/question regarding index field getting corrupted. The created date field on one of my table were index and it got corrupted a few days ago. So the perfomance on that table ran pretty slow. However, it resume to operate normally afterward. Now, when i query for data based on the created date starting from the corrupted date and earlier, no data get display even though the data are there.

My question is, how is it possible for an index field to get corrupted and resume to work normally? Is this an internal Oracle 8i bug or what exactly would cause this? ( Any experts or someone who experienced this type of problem, please share your thoughts )...

Also, any details on why my query doesn't display data when i query based on the corrupted index field?

Comments

• : I have a general discussion/question regarding index field getting corrupted. The created date field on one of my table were index and it got corrupted a few days ago. So the perfomance on that table ran pretty slow. However, it resume to operate normally afterward. Now, when i query for data based on the created date starting from the corrupted date and earlier, no data get display even though the data are there.
    :
    : My question is, how is it possible for an index field to get corrupted and resume to work normally? Is this an internal Oracle 8i bug or what exactly would cause this? ( Any experts or someone who experienced this type of problem, please share your thoughts )...
    :
    : Also, any details on why my query doesn't display data when i query based on the corrupted index field?

My best guess is that your index got "corrupted", meaning Oracle was unable to use it to access any indexed data up to that point. Who knows what might have caused it to happen??? Could've been a hardware failure for all we know. It sounds like since that point it's been correctly indexing new values, and it still recognizes the index and what field is indexed, so when you use the index it's only picking up records which it has valid pointers to. It kind of makes sense to me, though I fully admit I have no idea how indexes work other than the vague understanding that they are essentially trees of pointers.

So drop and rebuild the index. Seems like it should be pretty simple.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]