using buttons and checkboxes - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

using buttons and checkboxes

ricka138ricka138 Posts: 5Member
I need to use a single button and some checkboxes in my program. I have implements ItemListener in the header to use the checkboxes but how do I get the button to work. It needs to clear the text field. Do I need to implement the ActionListener some how?

Thanks!

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I need to use a single button and some checkboxes in my program. I have implements ItemListener in the header to use the checkboxes but how do I get the button to work. It needs to clear the text field. Do I need to implement the ActionListener some how?
    :
    : Thanks!
    :
    :
    Yes, you need to implement the ActionListener. This requires the actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) method, in which you can clear the text field (= set the text of the text field to an empty string). The button has a method called addActionListener() to link the ActionListener to it.
  • ricka138ricka138 Posts: 5Member
    : Yes, you need to implement the ActionListener. This requires the actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) method, in which you can clear the text field (= set the text of the text field to an empty string). The button has a method called addActionListener() to link the ActionListener to it.
    :

Ok, how do i do that when my header is as follows:

public class PetAdviceApplet extends Applet implements ItemListener

I used the ItemListener so I could use the checkboxes as well. How do I use both checkboxes and a button. When I try to put the addActionListener() in with my button in the init() method I get an error that it cannot be applied?

Any ideas?

Thanks again!!!!
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : : Yes, you need to implement the ActionListener. This requires the actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) method, in which you can clear the text field (= set the text of the text field to an empty string). The button has a method called addActionListener() to link the ActionListener to it.
    : :
    :
    : Ok, how do i do that when my header is as follows:
    :
    : public class PetAdviceApplet extends Applet implements ItemListener
    :
    : I used the ItemListener so I could use the checkboxes as well. How do I use both checkboxes and a button. When I try to put the addActionListener() in with my button in the init() method I get an error that it cannot be applied?
    :
    : Any ideas?
    :
    : Thanks again!!!!
    :
    You can add more than 1 interface to a class:
    [code]
    public class PetAdviceApplet extends Applet implements ItemListener, ActionListener
    [/code]

• ricka138ricka138 Posts: 5Member
    : : : Yes, you need to implement the ActionListener. This requires the actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) method, in which you can clear the text field (= set the text of the text field to an empty string). The button has a method called addActionListener() to link the ActionListener to it.
    : : :
    : : Ok, how do i do that when my header is as follows:
    : : public class PetAdviceApplet extends Applet implements ItemListener
    : : I used the ItemListener so I could use the checkboxes as well. How do I use both checkboxes and a button. When I try to put the addActionListener() in with my button in the init() method I get an error that it cannot be applied?
    : : Any ideas?
    : : Thanks again!!!!
    : You can add more than 1 interface to a class:
    : [code]
    : public class PetAdviceApplet extends Applet implements ItemListener, ActionListener
    : [/code]
    :
    :

Thankyou so much! That's the only thing I've been struggling with. Thanks again! God Bless!!!