Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Designing a web application

saint_johannsaint_johann Posts: 39Member
Hi All,

It's been some time since I've been here. For the first time since starting to develop in VB, I have a requirement to design a web application. To date, I've only designed desktop applications.

I have no idea where to start. I looked into the DHTML projects in VB6, but it seems cumbersome.

Please steer me in the right direction so that I may start investigating the various possibilities. I'd prefer not to have to learn an entire new language in the process.

Thanx.
Regards,

^J^

Comments

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    Well I hate to break it to you but you are going to need to know at least:

HTML

Your your using a server-side technology such as ASP, then you will be using VBScript as a language, which is a condensed version of Visual Basic w/out strongly typed variables ...

Get use to ...

[code]
    Dim sName
    [/code]

Instead of ...

[code]
    Dim sName As String
    [/code]

Because everything is a Variant in VBScript. Finally, you could try ASP.NET, but that entails knowing VB.NET and Visual Studios.NET or Web Matrix.

Of course if you want dynamic browser behavior, then you would have to learn some JavaScript.

I've been web programming for 5 years and still feel like I know nothing, so have fun and do not hesitate to ask questions.
  • lionblionb Posts: 1,686Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2006-3-17 8:4:56[/red][/b][hr]
    Finally, you could try ASP.NET, but that entails knowing VB.NET and Visual Studios.NET or Web Matrix.
    :
    [blue]If you are still using previous version of the Visual Studio, you may use Visual Interdev to create Web Applicatiion. There are a lot of on-line tutorials on net. I like this one http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp choose Learn ASP/HTML[/blue]
    :
    : Of course if you want dynamic browser behavior, then you would have to learn some JavaScript.
    :
    : I've been web programming for 5 years and still feel like I know nothing, so have fun and do not hesitate to ask questions.
    :
    [blue]That exactly right[/blue] ;-)

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi All,
    :
    : It's been some time since I've been here. For the first time since starting to develop in VB, I have a requirement to design a web application. To date, I've only designed desktop applications.
    :
    : I have no idea where to start. I looked into the DHTML projects in VB6, but it seems cumbersome.
    :
    : Please steer me in the right direction so that I may start investigating the various possibilities. I'd prefer not to have to learn an entire new language in the process.

VB isn't suited to web programming. Are you stuck using ASP or ASP.NET? Or some other server? What are your options? Learning a new language might be the best choice available.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• saint_johannsaint_johann Posts: 39Member
    Thanx All.

I'll look into it as per your recommendations. Be sure that there will be many more questions coming ;)

Thanx.

^J^
    Regards,

^J^