Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Binary or text file...

kern68kern68 Posts: 85Member
If I have a file given to me for processing I would like to check if the file is a text file. Is there a way to determine if a file is binary or text before the file is opened? How about after a file is opened?

Thanks,

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : If I have a file given to me for processing I would like to check if the file is a text file. Is there a way to determine if a file is binary or text before the file is opened? How about after a file is opened?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :

No, its not really possible to determine the difference. You could read the first few hundred bytes and check if it contains any non-printable characters other than tabs, line feeds or carriage returns. The number 0 (or 0x00 in hex code) is frequently found in binary files. But the absense of 0x00 does not mean the file is a text file.