Need to create a simple program? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Need to create a simple program?

eshaineshain Posts: 2Member
Hello everyone! Recently, at my job, I've been getting fairly involved with Microsoft Access database design and implentation. However, I'm not a programmer, I know nothing about programming! Despite my ignorance, I need to create a simple program, and I'm hoping the programersheaven.com faithful can lead this horse to water!

The function of this program would be to simply:

1) Open
2) Display one button, that when pressed, will automatically create a shortcut to a particular .exe file (found from another network drive, we'll call it JPGopener.exe) on the user's desktop. As well as, automatically create a windows file association for, all ".jpg" files to open with the JPGopener.exe application by default.

The purpose of this program is for certain people needing to use computers on a network system that have no idea how to create a file association to a particular program! I'd like to create the perverbial "one-click" program, to stop getting phone calls and having to walk them through it, every time!

If anyone has any ideas which software (Visual Basic?) or programming technique would be the easiest to complete this project, I'd be extremely grateful!

If needed, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks for your time,
Shain

Comments

• bigt007bigt007 Posts: 9Member
    : Hello everyone! Recently, at my job, I've been getting fairly involved with Microsoft Access database design and implentation. However, I'm not a programmer, I know nothing about programming! Despite my ignorance, I need to create a simple program, and I'm hoping the programersheaven.com faithful can lead this horse to water!
    :
    : The function of this program would be to simply:
    :
    : 1) Open
    : 2) Display one button, that when pressed, will automatically create a shortcut to a particular .exe file (found from another network drive, we'll call it JPGopener.exe) on the user's desktop. As well as, automatically create a windows file association for, all ".jpg" files to open with the JPGopener.exe application by default.
    :
    : The purpose of this program is for certain people needing to use computers on a network system that have no idea how to create a file association to a particular program! I'd like to create the perverbial "one-click" program, to stop getting phone calls and having to walk them through it, every time!
    :
    : If anyone has any ideas which software (Visual Basic?) or programming technique would be the easiest to complete this project, I'd be extremely grateful!
    :
    : If needed, please email me at [email protected]
    :
    : Thanks for your time,
    : Shain
    :

Okay here's what you do:

In the database console select "form" and then doubleclick "create form in design view".

Next go to the view menu and make sure your toolbox is selected.

Next select the command button icon on the toolbox and click and drag a box the size you want your button to be in the form.

A wizard menu will then pop up. Select application in the left box then run application in the right box and click next.

Type in the location of the file you want to open and click next. Decide whether you want text of a picture on your button and click next (if you want text type in what you want the button to say).

Give the button a name. This is the name that access identifies it by. There can't be any spaces. A simple and easy name to remember would be something like button1. Click finish.

You're done. Just save your form (you can resize it if you want) and close it. Now about making all *.jpg to open I am not sure how to change those extensions through code. And making your newly created form to open I would need more information on how and where you want it to open from. I hope I was able to help you.

TOM