Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

New to pocket pc programming

I have developed software for Windows for a couple of years now mainly using Borland's Delphi. I have no experience programming for mobile devices, but I have been charged with making one of my windows apps available for pocket. What I would like advice on is what language to use. I have a little experience of Java, so PersonalJava might be the obvious choice, but a friend tells me to steer clear of Java and use C# (he says he speaks from bad experience of finding a pda that would actually run his java application. I'm so naive that I don't even know whether all pdas are java-ready, so to speak. Likewise for C#.
I don't mind the learning curve that will be involved (whichever route I take) but I would like, if possible, to avoid as many pitfalls as I can. Maybe those with experience of both could enlighten me?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• geerishgeerish Posts: 10Member
    : I have developed software for Windows for a couple of years now mainly using Borland's Delphi. I have no experience programming for mobile devices, but I have been charged with making one of my windows apps available for pocket. What I would like advice on is what language to use. I have a little experience of Java, so PersonalJava might be the obvious choice, but a friend tells me to steer clear of Java and use C# (he says he speaks from bad experience of finding a pda that would actually run his java application. I'm so naive that I don't even know whether all pdas are java-ready, so to speak. Likewise for C#.
    : I don't mind the learning curve that will be involved (whichever route I take) but I would like, if possible, to avoid as many pitfalls as I can. Maybe those with experience of both could enlighten me?
    : Thanks for any help you can give.
    :

Hi,
    When u talking about PDA, I would advice you to have a look at the .net
    platform (c# or C++). Microscoft has the biggest share as far as the PDA market is concerned, os better use the .net mobile for programming.

I would prefer to use java when dealing with mobile phones and smart phones. J2me is the right language for mobile and smart phones.