Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Opensource LOGO COMPILER needed

Can anybody type a hyperlink to something like an opensource LOGO compiler? (I can use it for CBOOP - for those who still remember it)

In case there can't be found such a thing, can anyone make a sugestion?
================================================
((cons(car X)(cdr X))X)
holds(X,P):-P(X);holds(Y,P),IsA(X,Y).

Any (more) questions? SHOOT!

Comments

• IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
    : Can anybody type a hyperlink to something like an opensource LOGO compiler? (I can use it for CBOOP - for those who still remember it)
    :
    : In case there can't be found such a thing, can anyone make a sugestion?
    : ================================================
    : ((cons(car X)(cdr X))X)
    : holds(X,P):-P(X);holds(Y,P),IsA(X,Y).
    :
    : Any (more) questions? SHOOT!
    :

I ran a quick search and found:
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Compilers/LIOGO-4495.shtml

It's for .net though...
  • AlexandrescuAlexandrescu Posts: 66Member
    : I ran a quick search and found:
    : http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Compilers/LIOGO-4495.shtml

I also ran some search... and found NOTHING. Thancks!

: It's for .net though...

Not a very good news, but I'll give that LIOGO 2.0. a try anyway.

P.S. what search engine did you use to find the LOGO compiler?

((cons(car X)(cdr X))X)

• IDKIDK Posts: 1,784Member
    : : I ran a quick search and found:
    : : http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Compilers/LIOGO-4495.shtml
    :
    : I also ran some search... and found NOTHING. Thancks!
    :
    : : It's for .net though...
    :
    : Not a very good news, but I'll give that LIOGO 2.0. a try anyway.
    :
    : P.S. what search engine did you use to find the LOGO compiler?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=logo+compiler&btnG=Google+Search

Third match

I don't know if you see what I see, becouse, when one got a login at google it personalises the result, wich means I always get a lot of programming related hits.
  • 684867684867 Posts: 110Member
    I was checking up on the CBOOP thing and you all piqued my curiosity.

What is the logo compiler for?

Excellence Breeds! Go Hard or Go Home.

Let Penguins rule the earth.
    Break some windows today.

: I was checking up on the CBOOP thing and you all piqued my curiosity.
    :
    : What is the logo compiler for?

Well, the LOGO compiler is good for compiling CBOOP's (VIRTUAL)kernel. :D

In case you were wondering why it has to be LOGO the best choice for building an OS, just have some patience to read furtherly.

In one of his great books, Mr. Peter Norton (yes, THAT one!) said that "whatever people can't achieve in three days, they - most probably - won't ever achieve".

Because any good program - especially a new kind of OS kernel - must be both flexible and rigorously specifficated, I had to choose an existent PL that is flexible and rigorous. But flexibility (and scalability) IS working with a functional language and rigorousity IS working with a objectual one.

The LOGO language - as it was originally devised, by Mr. Seymour Pappert - IS a functional one... on the inside; the fact LOGO looks much like an imperative PL (a.k.a. no more stupid paratheses) was an extra-bonus. [Most of the times everything one has to do in order to use LOGO as if it was C is to replace "{" with "[" and "}" with "]" - which is quite a good thing! Besides, being functional, LOGO provides for templation/generic programming intrinsically. Did I mention that, being functional, LOGO works with EXPRESSIONS and it is self extenssible??]

There are also "mutant" LOGO PLs - namely OLOGO and ObjLogo - which are also objectual intrinsically (a.k.a. no LISP-ish CLOS needed).

I was hoping to find an OLOGO/ObjLogo compiler - for the sake of the execution speed. Sadly I didn' find it... but I can make it - using gcc's pattern.

P.S. I know I look totally out of my mind, but that's my natural condition - so I don't have to drink in order to reach it!
    ((cons(car X)(cdr X))X)

• 684867684867 Posts: 110Member
    Interesting thinking....

You appear to be on track to make a phenomenal success of this thing.

If I might suggest that you look at the linux 2.6 kernel design. It might feed your mind a little. Its simplicity and elegance is astounding.

Sam

: : I was checking up on the CBOOP thing and you all piqued my curiosity.
    : :
    : : What is the logo compiler for?
    :
    : Well, the LOGO compiler is good for compiling CBOOP's (VIRTUAL)kernel. :D
    :
    : In case you were wondering why it has to be LOGO the best choice for building an OS, just have some patience to read furtherly.
    :
    : In one of his great books, Mr. Peter Norton (yes, THAT one!) said that "whatever people can't achieve in three days, they - most probably - won't ever achieve".
    :
    : Because any good program - especially a new kind of OS kernel - must be both flexible and rigorously specifficated, I had to choose an existent PL that is flexible and rigorous. But flexibility (and scalability) IS working with a functional language and rigorousity IS working with a objectual one.
    :
    : The LOGO language - as it was originally devised, by Mr. Seymour Pappert - IS a functional one... on the inside; the fact LOGO looks much like an imperative PL (a.k.a. no more stupid paratheses) was an extra-bonus. [Most of the times everything one has to do in order to use LOGO as if it was C is to replace "{" with "[" and "}" with "]" - which is quite a good thing! Besides, being functional, LOGO provides for templation/generic programming intrinsically. Did I mention that, being functional, LOGO works with EXPRESSIONS and it is self extenssible??]
    :
    : There are also "mutant" LOGO PLs - namely OLOGO and ObjLogo - which are also objectual intrinsically (a.k.a. no LISP-ish CLOS needed).
    :
    : I was hoping to find an OLOGO/ObjLogo compiler - for the sake of the execution speed. Sadly I didn' find it... but I can make it - using gcc's pattern.
    :
    : P.S. I know I look totally out of my mind, but that's my natural condition - so I don't have to drink in order to reach it!
    :
    :
    :

Excellence Breeds! Go Hard or Go Home.

Let Penguins rule the earth.
    Break some windows today.

[b][red]This message was edited by Alexandrescu at 2006-3-7 7:2:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : Interesting thinking....
    : You appear to be on track to make a phenomenal success of this thing.
    :
    : If I might suggest that you look at the linux 2.6 kernel design. It might feed your mind a little. Its simplicity and elegance is astounding.
    :
    : Sam

Thancks for the hint! I'll take your advice seriously.

Actually, because I am in plain process of learning how to install that Gentoo Linux you recommended me a couple of months ago, I have theese sources handy.

I'll also study the gcc and tcc (the LINUX one, not that old Borland stuff) sources in order to learn how to build "industrial-featured" and "home-featured" yet high performance compilers.

PS: it was actually the Gentoo distro that encouraged me to think about a source-based distribution for our CBOOP; because that's what I intend to do for some six months ago: an OS with system-tools and some office suite, packaged together and distributed as souce distros via a CVS! And Gentoo was precisely such an example, that actually works.

(what about that?)
  • Schol-R-LEASchol-R-LEA Posts: 3Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Schol-R-LEA at 2006-5-8 10:45:16[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by Schol-R-LEA at 2006-5-8 10:28:39[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by Schol-R-LEA at 2006-5-8 10:22:10[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by Schol-R-LEA at 2006-5-8 10:19:20[/red][/b][hr]
    : Well, the LOGO compiler is good for compiling CBOOP's (VIRTUAL)kernel. :D
    : In case you were wondering why it has to be LOGO the best choice for
    : building an OS, just have some patience to read furtherly.

You're intending to write an operating system? In that case, the compiler linked to earlier won't do, at least not if you are writing a fully stand-alone OS. As I understand it, it is written for .Net Framework, and produces CLR code rather than native code (though looking now I see that it does produce PE files, though from the sounds of it, that automated the calls to .Net).

In any case, Logo - at least in it's usual form - is not suitable for low-level systems programming, due to it's runtime requirements (specifically, garbage collection - you need to implement the memory management before you can use it :) ). You can use it for *much* of the system, or even *most* of it, but substantial parts would need to be written in a language that does not have those requirements - assembly, C, etc. Alternately, you can write a compiler for a subset of Logo that doesn't have garbage collection, and use that for the parts that implement the runtime requirements for the full version of the language.

For more information, see the OS Developer's FAQ Wiki http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2/), and specifically the page on using languages other than C for OS development and the one on the parts of an OS that must be done in assembly. HTH.

If this is a virtual OS, running on top of another one, then feel free to ignore this :)

BTW, I'm a new member to the board, and I haven't been able to find any information about what sort of markup (if any) this board accepts; AFAICT, the FAQ doesn't mention anything about it. Can anyone give me a pointer on the subject?

[b][red]This message was edited by Alexandrescu at 2006-5-8 23:48:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : You're intending to write an operating system? In that case, the compiler linked to earlier won't do, at least not if you are writing a fully stand-alone OS. As I understand it, it is written for .Net Framework, and produces CLR code rather than native code (though looking now I see that it does produce PE files, though from the sounds of it, that automated the calls to .Net).

Yeah, I saw that before installing that LOGO.

: In any case, Logo - at least in it's usual form - is not suitable for low-level systems programming, due to it's runtime requirements (specifically, garbage collection - you need to implement the memory management before you can use it :) ).

I know, but that never scared me; I am the adventurous type :D

: For more information, see the OS Developer's FAQ Wiki http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2/), and specifically the page on using languages other than C for OS development and the one on the parts of an OS that must be done in assembly. HTH.

Thancks for the link!

: If this is a virtual OS, running on top of another one, then feel free to ignore this :)

The virtuality of that OS consists in other aspects, that are much like those virtual images concave lensses make: you see them, but they aren't really there. Of course in this case noone can ignore what you wrote.

: BTW, I'm a new member to the board, and I haven't been able to find any information about what sort of markup (if any) this board accepts; AFAICT, the FAQ doesn't mention anything about it. Can anyone give me a pointer on the subject?

When you are typing a message, there is a rectangle appearing just bellow the edit control; just click on "Click here for instructions" in the [red] "Stylecodes" [/red] paragraph. You must allow pop-ups, otherwise you won't be able to see any result.
  • Schol-R-LEASchol-R-LEA Posts: 3Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Schol-R-LEA at 2006-5-9 13:39:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : : You're intending to write an operating system? In that case, the compiler linked to earlier won't do, at least not if you are writing a fully stand-alone OS. As I understand it, it is written for .Net Framework, and produces CLR code rather than native code (though looking now I see that it does produce PE files, though from the sounds of it, that automated the calls to .Net).
    :
    : Yeah, I saw that before installing that LOGO.
    :
    : : In any case, Logo - at least in it's usual form - is not suitable for low-level systems programming, due to it's runtime requirements (specifically, garbage collection - you need to implement the memory management before you can use it :) ).
    :
    : I know, but that never scared me; I am the adventurous type :D

Fair enough; I myself have looked into systems programming with a variant of Scheme, as a matter of fact. My intention was to take the subset language route, using something similar to preScheme (http://www.google.com/search?q=prescheme) as the low-level language. I keep meaning to get back to that, but lately I've been rather out of the OS development scene.

: : For more information, see the OS Developer's FAQ Wiki http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2/), and specifically the page on using languages other than C for OS development and the one on the parts of an OS that must be done in assembly. HTH.
    :
    : Thancks for the link!

No problem.

: : If this is a virtual OS, running on top of another one, then feel free to ignore this :)
    :
    : The virtuality of that OS consists in other aspects, that are much like those virtual images concave lensses make: you see them, but they aren't really there.

Understood.

: : BTW, I'm a new member to the board, and I haven't been able to find any information about what sort of markup (if any) this board accepts; AFAICT, the FAQ doesn't mention anything about it. Can anyone give me a pointer on the subject?
    :
    : When you are typing a message, there is a rectangle appearing just bellow the edit control; just click on "Click here for instructions" in the [red] "Stylecodes" [/red] paragraph. You must allow pop-ups, otherwise you won't be able to see any result.

Ah, yes, thank you! I suspect part of the trouble was that I had NoScript running; I've whitelisted programmersheaven.com now, though, so it should work. Hmmn, very similar to BBcode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode), but just different enough that it threw me off, I guess (I'd tried testing that using italics, which is [leftbr]i[rightbr] in BBcode but [leftbr]italic[rightbr] here). Good to know. I don't see anything for embedding links, though I may be simply missing it... or they might not allow them for security reasons, I suppose.

Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7)
    Scheme is the Red Pill