Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Determining if # of bit sets in 1st letter is even or odd

[b][red]This message was edited by oldandtired at 2006-3-1 2:12:45[/red][/b][hr]
I just started learning assembly language. I need to determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my name is either odd or even. What instructions can I use to do this? I'm only using the 16-bit registers in my code. Any help will do, thanks!

Comments

• anthrax11anthrax11 Member Posts: 511
    : [b][red]This message was edited by oldandtired at 2006-3-1 2:12:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : I just started learning assembly language. I need to determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my name is either odd or even. What instructions can I use to do this? I'm only using the 16-bit registers in my code. Any help will do, thanks!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    [code]MOV al,letter ; load the value
    OR al,al ; set the flags for it
    JPE ParityEven ; JPE = jump if parity even
    ; the parity flag determines whether the number of set
    ; bits is odd or even
    ;The parity is odd

ParityEven:
    ;The parity is even[/code]

use these instructions:
    JPE/JP = jump if parity even/if parity
    JPO/JNP = jump if parity odd/if no parity

• oldandtiredoldandtired Member Posts: 10
    [b][red]This message was edited by oldandtired at 2006-3-1 21:15:0[/red][/b][hr]
    Thank you. I was thinking along those lines, but I wasn't sure.

: : [b][red]This message was edited by oldandtired at 2006-3-1 2:12:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I just started learning assembly language. I need to determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my name is either odd or even. What instructions can I use to do this? I'm only using the 16-bit registers in my code. Any help will do, thanks!
    : :
    : [code]MOV al,letter ; load the value
    : OR al,al ; set the flags for it
    : JPE ParityEven ; JPE = jump if parity even
    : ; the parity flag determines whether the number of set
    : ; bits is odd or even
    : ;The parity is odd
    :
    : ParityEven: