Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Determining if set bits in the first letter of name is odd or even

I'm a beginner in assembly language. My question is, how do I determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my first name is odd or even? I'm only using the 16-bit registers for my code. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Phat NatPhat Nat Member Posts: 757
    : I'm a beginner in assembly language. My question is, how do I determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my first name is odd or even? I'm only using the 16-bit registers for my code. Thanks for your help.
    :
    :

I just do Pascal Inline assembly so you may need to modify it a bit, but this should give you the idea. CX will contain a 1 if there is an odd number of bits and a 0 if there is an even number.

[code]
    Mov Ax, Word Ptr Letter
    Mov Bx, 1
    Mov Cx, 0
    @Loop:
    Test Ax, Bx
    Jz @Next
    Xor Cx, 1
    @Next:
    Shl Bx, 1
    Cmp Bx, $80
    Jle @Loop
    [/code]

Phat Nat
  • oldandtiredoldandtired Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for your help Nat!

: : I'm a beginner in assembly language. My question is, how do I determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my first name is odd or even? I'm only using the 16-bit registers for my code. Thanks for your help.
    : :
    : :
    :
    : I just do Pascal Inline assembly so you may need to modify it a bit, but this should give you the idea. CX will contain a 1 if there is an odd number of bits and a 0 if there is an even number.
    :
    : [code]
    : Mov Ax, Word Ptr Letter
    : Mov Bx, 1
    : Mov Cx, 0
    : @Loop:
    : Test Ax, Bx
    : Jz @Next
    : Xor Cx, 1
    : @Next:
    : Shl Bx, 1
    : Cmp Bx, $80