Determining if set bits in the first letter of name is odd or even

I'm a beginner in assembly language. My question is, how do I determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my first name is odd or even? I'm only using the 16-bit registers for my code. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• : I'm a beginner in assembly language. My question is, how do I determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my first name is odd or even? I'm only using the 16-bit registers for my code. Thanks for your help.
    :
    :

I just do Pascal Inline assembly so you may need to modify it a bit, but this should give you the idea. CX will contain a 1 if there is an odd number of bits and a 0 if there is an even number.

[code]
    Mov Ax, Word Ptr Letter
    Mov Bx, 1
    Mov Cx, 0
    @Loop:
    Test Ax, Bx
    Jz @Next
    Xor Cx, 1
    @Next:
    Shl Bx, 1
    Cmp Bx, $80
    Jle @Loop
    [/code]

Phat Nat
  • Thanks for your help Nat!

: : I'm a beginner in assembly language. My question is, how do I determine whether the number of set bits in the first letter of my first name is odd or even? I'm only using the 16-bit registers for my code. Thanks for your help.
    : :
    : :
    :
    : I just do Pascal Inline assembly so you may need to modify it a bit, but this should give you the idea. CX will contain a 1 if there is an odd number of bits and a 0 if there is an even number.
    :
    : [code]
    : Mov Ax, Word Ptr Letter
    : Mov Bx, 1
    : Mov Cx, 0
    : @Loop:
    : Test Ax, Bx
    : Jz @Next
    : Xor Cx, 1
    : @Next:
    : Shl Bx, 1
    : Cmp Bx, $80