About #8 (backspace) - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

About #8 (backspace)

flashfsflashfs Posts: 5Member
I have a word in a text file that I want to erase. It appears that the function Seek doesn't work for text files. So, I found that #8 is the ASCII code for backspace. The problem is that when I use Write(file, #8) or Write(file, #8, ' ', #8) Notepad shows a strange icon in the file, and the word remains in the file.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I have a word in a text file that I want to erase. It appears that the function Seek doesn't work for text files. So, I found that #8 is the ASCII code for backspace. The problem is that when I use Write(file, #8) or Write(file, #8, ' ', #8) Notepad shows a strange icon in the file, and the word remains in the file.
    :
    The #8 character is seen as a normal character when placed in a file. To delete a word from a text file, you need to copy the file without the word in question into a new file. Here is an example, which removes all words "the":
    [code]
    var
    sf, df: textfile;
    s: string;
    begin
    Assign(sf, 'source.txt');
    Reset(sf);
    Assign(df, 'dest.txt');
    Rewrite(df);
    while not eof(sf) do
    begin
    readln(sf, s); { read a line }
    while Pos('the', s) > 0 do { remove all "the"s from the line }
    Delete(s, Pos('the', s), 3);
    writeln(df, s); { write it to the new file }
    end;
    Close(df);
    Close(sf);
    end;
    [/code]
  • flashfsflashfs Posts: 5Member
    : : I have a word in a text file that I want to erase. It appears that the function Seek doesn't work for text files. So, I found that #8 is the ASCII code for backspace. The problem is that when I use Write(file, #8) or Write(file, #8, ' ', #8) Notepad shows a strange icon in the file, and the word remains in the file.
    : :
    : The #8 character is seen as a normal character when placed in a file. To delete a word from a text file, you need to copy the file without the word in question into a new file. Here is an example, which removes all words "the":
    : [code]
    : var
    : sf, df: textfile;
    : s: string;
    : begin
    : Assign(sf, 'source.txt');
    : Reset(sf);
    : Assign(df, 'dest.txt');
    : Rewrite(df);
    : while not eof(sf) do
    : begin
    : readln(sf, s); { read a line }