Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Oracle 9i release 2 and a novice

DonotaloDonotalo Member Posts: 715
[purple]i've installed oracle 9i release 2 in my windows xp computer. obviously as a novice on oracle, i'm having trouble to connect to the oracle database server. when i run SQL Plus, it wants user name, password and host string. probably sysdba is both of the default user name and password, but what is the host string? i've tried oradb9i, DBServer (i entered this name as a server name somewhere while installing), Oracle9iHome etc but didnt succeeded.

how can i connect to the server?[/purple]
[hr][purple]~Donotalo()[/purple]

Comments

• infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : [purple]i've installed oracle 9i release 2 in my windows xp computer. obviously as a novice on oracle, i'm having trouble to connect to the oracle database server. when i run SQL Plus, it wants user name, password and host string. probably sysdba is both of the default user name and password, but what is the host string? i've tried oradb9i, DBServer (i entered this name as a server name somewhere while installing), Oracle9iHome etc but didnt succeeded.

You have to create a database first. Under the start menu entry for Oracle, you should be able to find something called the Database Creation Wizard or something like that. It's been a while, but I think it will help you set everything up. You may also have to use the listener wizard to set up a listener too, but I'm not certain.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• DonotaloDonotalo Member Posts: 715
    [purple]sorry for this late reply. the cds i bought said, it is oracle 9i developer suit release 2. now please tell me what is the default user name, password and host string to connect with database server through sql plus.

i cudn't find any link to create a new database under start menu. i am completely a novice on this field.
    [/purple]

• infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : [purple]sorry for this late reply. the cds i bought said, it is oracle 9i developer suit release 2. now please tell me what is the default user name, password and host string to connect with database server through sql plus.

As far as I know, there isn't any database to connect to unless you create one.

: i cudn't find any link to create a new database under start menu. i am completely a novice on this field.

I don't have it installed currently on my machine. Did your CDs come with any documentation?

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• DonotaloDonotalo Member Posts: 715
    : : [purple]sorry for this late reply. the cds i bought said, it is oracle 9i developer suit release 2. now please tell me what is the default user name, password and host string to connect with database server through sql plus.
    :
    : As far as I know, there isn't any database to connect to unless you create one.
    :
    : : i cudn't find any link to create a new database under start menu. i am completely a novice on this field.
    :
    : I don't have it installed currently on my machine. Did your CDs come with any documentation?
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    [purple]
    thanks for ur replies. i will go through the CD documentations if i found that. actually, i'm not getting enough time to sit relaxly and search for these things. i'll do that. thanx again :-).
    [/purple]