Memory Compaction in Win98 - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Memory Compaction in Win98

Hi all,
I have observed that in Windows 98 memory released by application after its usage is not compacted and made available to the application,hence the application runs out of resources.Kindly confirm whether if my observation is correct and if it is please suggest solution.

I have used GlobalMemoryStatus API function to observer memory usage. Even it shows only 45% of Memory usage,yet the application runs out of resources.

Is there any API for memory compaction in Win98. In WinXP the same behaviour / problem is not seen.

Pleae reply as soon as possible.

Thanks and Bye.
Chaitanya.

Comments

• KoppisKoppis Posts: 68Member
    : Hi all,
    : I have observed that in Windows 98 memory released by application after its usage is not compacted and made available to the application,hence the application runs out of resources.Kindly confirm whether if my observation is correct and if it is please suggest solution.
    :
    : I have used GlobalMemoryStatus API function to observer memory usage. Even it shows only 45% of Memory usage,yet the application runs out of resources.
    :
    : Is there any API for memory compaction in Win98. In WinXP the same behaviour / problem is not seen.
    :
    : Pleae reply as soon as possible.
    :
    : Thanks and Bye.
    : Chaitanya.
    :
    :
    :

I never had that problem on Win98. I have seen reports on that free memory does not raise if you free a form. But if you create it, it does not take any more memory either. Might be Win98 memory management..
    Do you get an EOutOfMemory error message?
    For what do you allocate the memory? Are you sure you free it successfully?