Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Invisible Fields

splansingsplansing Member Posts: 140
When I add a new field to a table and then save it, then re-open the table, the field I just added is not there. However, you can refer to the field and use it just as you normally could, except that you have to spell it out as an expression on your forms or queries.

WHERE THE HELL ARE MY FIELDS GOING!? WHY IS ACCESSS SUCH A PIECE OF SH!T?

Comments

• dokken2dokken2 Member Posts: 532
    : When I add a new field to a table and then save it, then re-open the table, the field I just added is not there. However, you can refer to the field and use it just as you normally could, except that you have to spell it out as an expression on your forms or queries.
    :
    : WHERE THE HELL ARE MY FIELDS GOING!? WHY IS ACCESSS SUCH A PIECE OF SH!T?
    :

if you mean that the field is not visible in the 'field list', you may have named the field the same as a reserved keyword
  • splansingsplansing Member Posts: 140
    : : When I add a new field to a table and then save it, then re-open the table, the field I just added is not there. However, you can refer to the field and use it just as you normally could, except that you have to spell it out as an expression on your forms or queries.
    : :
    : : WHERE THE HELL ARE MY FIELDS GOING!? WHY IS ACCESSS SUCH A PIECE OF SH!T?
    : :
    :
    : if you mean that the field is not visible in the 'field list', you may have named the field the same as a reserved keyword
    :
    Nope. I figured it out. When you have a replicated database and you add field names to the end of the field list, they get all jumbled together with the hidden system fields that are added to the tables whenever you replicate them. You have to select View System Objects on your options, then view the table design again. You'll find that you can now see your fields, but they are mixed in with a bunch of system fields. To fix the problem, either leave the system objects visible, or move the fields up so that they come before any of the system fields in your table. This will make them visible again.

What a pile of junk this thing is. Have I mentioned that Access is trash? I spend 65% of my development time in this environment waiting for simple, straightforward forms built directly on tables to open or close or save. Absolute trash.