Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Command Buttons

WilkoWilko Member Posts: 8
Hello there,

I am creating a learning tool using Access for my students. Currently I have a topic form, this has a number 1 to many relationships going from it to other tables, such as 'questions', 'exercises', 'theory' etc.

I know how to create a command buttong to access these other forms, however it accesses all the information in these forms. To explain better, if I have the Topic 'addition' and a command button linking to the Question form, i only want it to show the 'addition' questions, not all the other questions in the database. Any advice would be much appreciated,

Ross

Comments

• RichardKRichardK Member Posts: 14
    : Hello there,
    :
    : I am creating a learning tool using Access for my students. Currently I have a topic form, this has a number 1 to many relationships going from it to other tables, such as 'questions', 'exercises', 'theory' etc.
    :
    : I know how to create a command buttong to access these other forms, however it accesses all the information in these forms. To explain better, if I have the Topic 'addition' and a command button linking to the Question form, i only want it to show the 'addition' questions, not all the other questions in the database. Any advice would be much appreciated,
    :
    : Ross
    :
    Hi

It sounds like you want to restrict the data displayed on a form.

You should be able to apply a filter. This is done by the following.

right click on the form in the edit box etc that you want to filter by ensuring in your case it has the value "addition" and then select filter by selection.

In the forms properties there should be an entry called filter. If you wish this change to be permanent set this value via VBA in the forms onOpen event.

The data in the filter should look something like the following.

((DVDQueryActor.Title="test"))

Another way of doing this would be to create a query showing the limited set of data you want.

You would then have to create a form based upon this query.

You should also be able to do this process by Filters.

Hope this helps.

• WilkoWilko Member Posts: 8
    : : Hello there,
    : :
    : : I am creating a learning tool using Access for my students. Currently I have a topic form, this has a number 1 to many relationships going from it to other tables, such as 'questions', 'exercises', 'theory' etc.
    : : I know how to create a command buttong to access these other forms, however it accesses all the information in these forms. To explain better, if I have the Topic 'addition' and a command button linking to the Question form, i only want it to show the 'addition' questions, not all the other questions in the database. Any advice would be much appreciated,
    : : Ross
    : Hi
    :
    : It sounds like you want to restrict the data displayed on a form.
    :
    : You should be able to apply a filter. This is done by the following.
    :
    : right click on the form in the edit box etc that you want to filter by ensuring in your case it has the value "addition" and then select filter by selection.
    :
    : In the forms properties there should be an entry called filter. If you wish this change to be permanent set this value via VBA in the forms onOpen event.
    :
    : The data in the filter should look something like the following.
    :
    : ((DVDQueryActor.Title="test"))
    :
    : Another way of doing this would be to create a query showing the limited set of data you want.
    :
    : You would then have to create a form based upon this query.
    :
    : You should also be able to do this process by Filters.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    :

That was a great help, ive got it all sorted now,

Ross