Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Delete and Null Pointer

PooBearPooBear Posts: 19Member
I want to check with you guys .
here is an example.
I have a class like this

class Foo
{
int data;
};

int main()
{
Foo *objPtr = new Foo[5];
for ( int i =0; i<5 ;i++ )
{
objPtr[i]->data = i;
if ( i == 3 )
{
objPtr[i] = NULL; //Can I do somthing like this
}
}
delete[]objPtr;
}

in this program can I do objPtr[i] = NULL and then call the delete. does this make sense? Please explain to me.
I need to make the pointer null in my original program it it meets some condition. and finally once I an done with all I will call delete[]. Please someone explain to me.

Thanks
Machado

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    delete works correctly the NULL pointers (it just does nothing when the pointer is NULL).
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : I want to check with you guys .
    : here is an example.
    : I have a class like this
    :
    : class Foo
    : {
    : int data;
    : };
    :
    : int main()
    : Foo *objPtr = new Foo[5];
    : for ( int i =0; i<5 ;i++ )
    : objPtr[i]->data = i;
    : if ( i == 3 )
    : objPtr[i] = NULL; //Can I do somthing like this
    : }
    : delete[]objPtr;
    :
    : in this program can I do objPtr[i] = NULL and then call the delete. does this make sense? Please explain to me.
    : I need to make the pointer null in my original program it it meets some condition. and finally once I an done with all I will call delete[]. Please someone explain to me.
    :
    : Thanks
    : Machado
    :
    :

objPtr[i] = NULL;

If objPtr is pointing at dynamicly allocated memory, you will create a memory leak by doining like that. You need to delete[] the memory first, and then set the pointer to NULL.
  • PooBearPooBear Posts: 19Member
    Thanks guys.
    So can I do like this

delete objPtr;
    objPtr = NULL;

Does this make sense ?

: : I want to check with you guys .
    : : here is an example.
    : : I have a class like this
    : :
    : : class Foo
    : : {
    : : int data;
    : : };
    : : int main()
    : : Foo *objPtr = new Foo[5];
    : : for ( int i =0; i<5 ;i++ )
    : : objPtr[i]->data = i;
    : : if ( i == 3 )
    : : objPtr[i] = NULL; //Can I do somthing like this
    : : }
    : : delete[]objPtr;
    : : in this program can I do objPtr[i] = NULL and then call the delete. does this make sense? Please explain to me.
    : : I need to make the pointer null in my original program it it meets some condition. and finally once I an done with all I will call delete[]. Please someone explain to me.
    : : Thanks
    : : Machado
    :
    :
    : objPtr[i] = NULL;
    :
    : If objPtr is pointing at dynamicly allocated memory, you will create a memory leak by doining like that. You need to delete[] the memory first, and then set the pointer to NULL.
    :

• TheNullinatorTheNullinator Posts: 31Member
    Hi,

Yeah, you can do:

[code]
    delete objPtr;
    objPtr = NULL;
    [/code]

Another thing, it is often a good idea to use a [italic]std::auto_ptr[/italic] to store pointers. The data pointed to gets deleted when the [italic]auto_ptr[/italic] goes out of scope so it is exception safe. A lot of memory leaks can be fixed by using these. They can't be used in every situation, though. It might be worth you while to look them up in a STL reference.

Cheers