Application help PLEASE... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Application help PLEASE...

quochaiquochai Posts: 6Member
I need to create a windows application that deletes records from a database that are old. This app doesnt have a GUI but should just do its tasks and close. I am brand new to C# and would love any feedback on how I should do this or any code suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : I need to create a windows application that deletes records from a database that are old. This app doesnt have a GUI but should just do its tasks and close. I am brand new to C# and would love any feedback on how I should do this or any code suggestions.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

1. Create Windows Forms application
    2. Remove the form Visual Studio created from your project
    3. Take form creation code and Application.Run stuff out of Main-method
    4. Connect to database (in Main-method)
    5. Send sql command to database
    6. Disconnect database and you are done

Parts 1-3 prevents any window from appearing. You could also create command line application but then you get that ugly black DOS box showing. In part 4-6 use xxxConnection and xxxCommand classes, where xxx is the name of the database (for example SqlConnection for SQL Server).

Pretty simple thing, below 20 lines of code easily :)
  • quochaiquochai Posts: 6Member
    Hey Thanks alot,
    could you write me a sample of what the code would look like? I just dont see it being under 20 lines. This application needs to automatically delete old records and I should use it in my windows schedule tasks.
    Thanks.

: : I need to create a windows application that deletes records from a database that are old. This app doesnt have a GUI but should just do its tasks and close. I am brand new to C# and would love any feedback on how I should do this or any code suggestions.
    : :
    : : Thanks.
    : :
    :
    : 1. Create Windows Forms application
    : 2. Remove the form Visual Studio created from your project
    : 3. Take form creation code and Application.Run stuff out of Main-method
    : 4. Connect to database (in Main-method)
    : 5. Send sql command to database
    : 6. Disconnect database and you are done
    :
    : Parts 1-3 prevents any window from appearing. You could also create command line application but then you get that ugly black DOS box showing. In part 4-6 use xxxConnection and xxxCommand classes, where xxx is the name of the database (for example SqlConnection for SQL Server).
    :
    : Pretty simple thing, below 20 lines of code easily :)
    :

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : Hey Thanks alot,
    : could you write me a sample of what the code would look like? I just dont see it being under 20 lines. This application needs to automatically delete old records and I should use it in my windows schedule tasks.
    : Thanks.
    :

[code]
    static int Main(void)
    {
    SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnect(ion"connection string here");
    SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand();
    cmd.Connection = conn;
    // Delete rows that are more than 10 days old
    cmd.CommandText = "DELETE FROM MyTable WHERE MyTimeStampField < DATEADD(day, 10 GETDATE())"
    conn.Open();
    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
    conn.Close();
    }
    [/code]