Linking Errors - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Linking Errors

DelphiDelphi Posts: 42Member
Hello.

I've been trying to get some source code to compile from a project that I picked up. This code wasn't originally mine to work with, and it's written in C, not C++.

As best as I can tell, this was originally compiled using Visual Studio 6.0, and I'm using Visual Studio 2005. After sorting some 300+ compile time errors, I'm left with these linking errors:

[code]tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _send@16 referenced in function _send2
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WSAAsyncSelect@16 referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _wmhandler_set referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _listen@8 referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _bind@12 referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _htons@4 referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _socket@12 referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _winio_current referenced in function _init_aol
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _ntohs@4 referenced in function _init_tcp
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WSAStartup@8 referenced in function _init_tcp
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _recv@16 referenced in function _gotdata
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _closesocket@4 referenced in function _myfunc
tcp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _accept@12 referenced in function _myfunc[/code]

It appears to me that these errors have something to do with winsock, but I've never really done any network programming. I'm just 'playing around' with this code to see if I can get it compiled, just look through it to see things, that sort of thing.

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2006-2-5 21:0:52[/red][/b][hr]
    add ws2_32.lib to the project

• DelphiDelphi Posts: 42Member
    Thank you for the prompt reply. Adding ws2_32.lib to the project indeed fixed my linking errors.

The next problem I run into is a small window popping up everytime I try and run the compiled program:

Window Title:

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Window Text:

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: ...
    File: close.c
    Line: 47

Expression: (fh >= 0 && (unsigned)fh < (unsigned)_nhandle)

For information on how your program can cause assertion
    failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

Buttons:

Abort, Retry, Ignore

There is no close.c in the program, and a quick search through the files returned no match on the expression listed as the culprit. Is this a program with some header file that I am linking to, and if so, how can I fix this?