Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

python applications

tonextonex Posts: 7Member
Hi y'all!
So i know python is an interpreted language. And i also know, or at least have heard you can come up with python applications. Now i was wondering how you can get the application executable? I have looked at Boa Constructor that came with the Apache2Triad package. I want to know if it has an equivalent of VB's application packaging and distribution wizard kind of thing. Please give me something on Python's 'affair' with databases (MySql in particular) if any. And i would also like to know more on embedding python in C. I guess thats it for now! Thanx.

Comments

• Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
    : Hi y'all!
    : So i know python is an interpreted language. And i also know, or at least have heard you can come up with python applications. Now i was wondering how you can get the application executable? I have looked at Boa Constructor that came with the Apache2Triad package. I want to know if it has an equivalent of VB's application packaging and distribution wizard kind of thing. Please give me something on Python's 'affair' with databases (MySql in particular) if any. And i would also like to know more on embedding python in C. I guess thats it for now! Thanx.
    :

hello...uh...

I can only answer the first question. I'm not sure about generating executables from python code, probably a third party thing, but theres nothing like that that I know of.

sorry, for the rest, I only can say that I haven't programmed much in python, so I'm not sure. Sorry.
    {2}rIng
  • infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi y'all!
    : So i know python is an interpreted language. And i also know, or at least have heard you can come up with python applications. Now i was wondering how you can get the application executable? I have looked at Boa Constructor that came with the Apache2Triad package. I want to know if it has an equivalent of VB's application packaging and distribution wizard kind of thing. Please give me something on Python's 'affair' with databases (MySql in particular) if any. And i would also like to know more on embedding python in C. I guess thats it for now! Thanx.

There are a couple of projects that will create an EXE, I think one of them is Py2Exe, and another is Freeze. Or something like that. Basically what these things do is combine the python interpreter with your modules into a single exectuable file. It's still interpreted, so it's not like you're compiling to machine code with other languages.

There are a few ways of distributing your code. There a modules, called "distutils" that you can use to "install" your program in an existing python installation. Basically, the user runs a setup.py script you create and it puts everything in the correct places. You can also just use a single zip file containing all of your modules. There's also a new thing called an "egg", but I'm not familiar with those. Basically they're just zip files that are available from the Python Package Index at python.org. There's a fairly magical module that can figure out all the packages you need to run something and it gets them for you.

Python has a fairly standard database API specification, and there are modules written to access almost any database you could want to use. You can find a lot at http://cheeseshop.python.org

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]