What does the '@' do? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What does the '@' do?

homerocdahomerocda Posts: 87Member
Hello,

I've seen some php scripts around there that uses an @ symbol in front of some function calls. I would like to know what does it do and why to use it.

Thanks.

Homero C. de Almeida

[italic]There's no dishonour in failure. For we aren't allowed to know wheter we'll achieve success or not. There is only one final shame, the cowardice of not trying.[/italic]

Comments

• tvientitvienti Posts: 230Member
    It's hard to find documention on php.net for some of the more basic features of PHP. I can't seem to find [i]any[/i] official documentation of this one. Anyhow, I believe @ supresses any non-fatal errors (warnings, notices).

[code]
    $fh = @fopen('/this/file/doesnt/exist', 'r'); /* nobody will see this error */
    [/code]

T

: Hello,
    :
    : I've seen some php scripts around there that uses an @ symbol in front of some function calls. I would like to know what does it do and why to use it.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    : Homero C. de Almeida
    :
    : [italic]There's no dishonour in failure. For we aren't allowed to know wheter we'll achieve success or not. There is only one final shame, the cowardice of not trying.[/italic]
    :

• homerocdahomerocda Posts: 87Member
    Yeah, I haven't found anything about it either, so I posted here... But what an tricky operator, isn't it? An operator for cheating on errors, oh Lord... :-)

: It's hard to find documention on php.net for some of the more basic features of PHP. I can't seem to find [i]any[/i] official documentation of this one. Anyhow, I believe @ supresses any non-fatal errors (warnings, notices).
    :
    : [code]
    : $fh = @fopen('/this/file/doesnt/exist', 'r'); /* nobody will see this error */
    : [/code]
    :
    : T
    :

• tvientitvienti Posts: 230Member
    It's good that you caught that :) To me @ seems like the poor-man's error handling, maybe why it's so obscurely documented (if at all). I never use it.

: Yeah, I haven't found anything about it either, so I posted here... But what an tricky operator, isn't it? An operator for cheating on errors, oh Lord... :-)
    :
    : : It's hard to find documention on php.net for some of the more basic features of PHP. I can't seem to find [i]any[/i] official documentation of this one. Anyhow, I believe @ supresses any non-fatal errors (warnings, notices).
    : :
    : : [code]
    : : $fh = @fopen('/this/file/doesnt/exist', 'r'); /* nobody will see this error */
    : : [/code]
    : : T
    :
    :