help with .htaccess - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

help with .htaccess

[b][red]This message was edited by javaKate at 2006-1-8 16:34:3[/red][/b][hr]
hello,

ok, i'm working with .htaccess to restrict users from getting to the administrator portion of my website. i chmod-ed the .htaccess page to be 664 permissions. right now, the code for the .htaccess page and the code for the .htpasswd page are both in the directory called "Admin", which is one level down from the main directory.

here's the .htaccess code:
AuthName "Kate's Admin section"
AuthType BASIC
AuthUserFile .htpasswd
require kate

here's the .htpasswd code:
kate:encryptedpassword

it prompts me for the login information, but when i enter the correct information, it refuses me and prompts me to try again. so what am i doing wrong? any help anyone can give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

thanks!
-kate