CIN command, where?? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

CIN command, where??

capitolccapitolc Posts: 31Member
hey group

I am trying to practice and learn basic C# statements and syntax, and I fail to figure out how to get a user input from the keyboard. I've notice that

:Console.Write(); //console.WriteLine();

writes to the screen, but when I try to save an input to a variable, it seems to only work for interger numbers.

:Console.Read(); //console.ReadLine();

My problem is I am trying to read characters from the input and save them. I get an error about converting int to char. Is there any command so that I can save an input from the user and save as in a char variable.

:using System;
:class classname {
: public static void {
: char discipline;
: Console.Write("enter A or B");
: discipline = Console.Read(); // Cannot implicitly convert type
// 'int' to 'char'

:

-=The Best Has Yet To Come=-

Comments

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : hey group
    :
    : I am trying to practice and learn basic C# statements and syntax, and I fail to figure out how to get a user input from the keyboard. I've notice that
    :
    : :Console.Write(); //console.WriteLine();
    :
    : writes to the screen, but when I try to save an input to a variable, it seems to only work for interger numbers.
    :
    : :Console.Read(); //console.ReadLine();
    :
    : My problem is I am trying to read characters from the input and save them. I get an error about converting int to char. Is there any command so that I can save an input from the user and save as in a char variable.
    :
    :
    : :using System;
    : :class classname {
    : : public static void {
    : : char discipline;
    : : Console.Write("enter A or B");
    : : discipline = Console.Read(); // Cannot implicitly convert type
    : // 'int' to 'char'
    :
    : :
    :
    : -=The Best Has Yet To Come=-
    :

You might want to read about types and type casting also :) C# doesn't cast from "bigger" types to smaller ones. Console.Read() returns Int32 which is 32 bit integer and char is 8 bit integer. This means that you'll have to explicitly cast it like this:

[code]
    int i = 33;
    char c = (char)i;
    [/code]

Other way round it works implicitly: i = c;
  • snakovsnakov Posts: 4Member
    This post has been deleted.
  • snakovsnakov Posts: 4Member
    You could use this [link=http://www.nakov.com/blog/2011/11/23/cin-class-for-csharp-read-from-console-nakov-io-cin/]C# cin class[/link] written by Svetlin Nakov. It can read numbers, ints, doubles, decimals and string tokens from the console, just like cin >> a >> b in C++.