Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help! MASM 6.11 Macros

I had a disk crash, lost masm 5.1, source diskettes lost also.
I have the documentation.
Downloaded masm 6.11. However, masm 6.11 hates my 5.1 macros.
Does anybody have the macro docs for 6.11. I can't find anything in the 6.11 download. If so, email me at genemc41@cox.net
Gene.

Comments

• shaolin007shaolin007 Member Posts: 1,018
    : I had a disk crash, lost masm 5.1, source diskettes lost also.
    : I have the documentation.
    : Downloaded masm 6.11. However, masm 6.11 hates my 5.1 macros.
    : Does anybody have the macro docs for 6.11. I can't find anything in the 6.11 download. If so, email me at genemc41@cox.net
    : Gene.
    :

[green]
    Ughh! You might want to port your code over to FASM which is MUCH better and similiar to MASM in many ways. MASM is just so old and outdated. Are you using it for a class or no?

http://flatassembler.net/

[/green]
  • Gene McMullinGene McMullin Member Posts: 5
    : : I had a disk crash, lost masm 5.1, source diskettes lost also.
    : : I have the documentation.
    : : Downloaded masm 6.11. However, masm 6.11 hates my 5.1 macros.
    : : Does anybody have the macro docs for 6.11. I can't find anything in the 6.11 download. If so, email me at genemc41@cox.net
    : : Gene.
    : :
    :
    : [green]
    : Ughh! You might want to port your code over to FASM which is MUCH better and similiar to MASM in many ways. MASM is just so old and outdated. Are you using it for a class or no?
    :
    : http://flatassembler.net/
    :
    : [/green]
    :
    I have a Parellel port project(Emulating a printer) and Qbasic is to slow and I don't want the crap windows loads on you. So I want to do it in DOS assembler. I want to make my laptop act like a printer for monitoring some devices which want printer.

Gene.

[b][red]This message was edited by shaolin007 at 2005-12-20 13:2:37[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : I had a disk crash, lost masm 5.1, source diskettes lost also.
    : : : I have the documentation.
    : : : Downloaded masm 6.11. However, masm 6.11 hates my 5.1 macros.
    : : : Does anybody have the macro docs for 6.11. I can't find anything in the 6.11 download. If so, email me at genemc41@cox.net
    : : : Gene.
    : : :
    : : [green]
    : : Ughh! You might want to port your code over to FASM which is MUCH better and similiar to MASM in many ways. MASM is just so old and outdated. Are you using it for a class or no?
    : : http://flatassembler.net/
    : : [/green]
    : I have a Parellel port project(Emulating a printer) and Qbasic is to slow and I don't want the crap windows loads on you. So I want to do it in DOS assembler. I want to make my laptop act like a printer for monitoring some devices which want printer.
    :
    : Gene.
    :
    :
    [green]
    Hi Gene, FASM comes with an IDE and GUI. The author updates regularly and the syntax in some ways is similiar to MASM. I started out with NASM myself, and after some suggestions from people on these boards, I took the dive and went over to FASM haven't looked back. FASM is able to compile 16, 32, and 64bit code so your needs will be more than met.
    [/green]

[red]edit:[/red]
    [green]
    Forgot that I had this MASM link bookmarked!

http://doc.ddart.net/asm/Microsoft_MASM_Programmers_Guide_v6.1/
    [/green]
  • AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    [blue]I am planning to release a nice IDE for FASM. There will be even classes, components and Resource Editor.[/blue]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by shaolin007 at 2005-12-20 13:2:37[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : I had a disk crash, lost masm 5.1, source diskettes lost also.
    : : : : I have the documentation.
    : : : : Downloaded masm 6.11. However, masm 6.11 hates my 5.1 macros.
    : : : : Does anybody have the macro docs for 6.11. I can't find anything in the 6.11 download. If so, email me at genemc41@cox.net
    : : : : Gene.
    : : : :
    : : : [green]
    : : : Ughh! You might want to port your code over to FASM which is MUCH better and similiar to MASM in many ways. MASM is just so old and outdated. Are you using it for a class or no?
    : : : http://flatassembler.net/
    : : : [/green]
    : : I have a Parellel port project(Emulating a printer) and Qbasic is to slow and I don't want the crap windows loads on you. So I want to do it in DOS assembler. I want to make my laptop act like a printer for monitoring some devices which want printer.
    : : Gene.
    : Hi Gene, FASM comes with an IDE and GUI. The author updates regularly and the syntax in some ways is similiar to MASM. I started out with NASM myself, and after some suggestions from people on these boards, I took the dive and went over to FASM haven't looked back. FASM is able to compile 16, 32, and 64bit code so your needs will be more than met.
    :
    :
    : [red]edit:[/red]
    : Forgot that I had this MASM link bookmarked!
    :
    : http://doc.ddart.net/asm/Microsoft_MASM_Programmers_Guide_v6.1/
    :
    Thanks for the Link. will help alot. I have a version of Flatasm, I don't know how old it is? I'll try it on my next project. no time to learn a new assembler now.

Gene.

: [blue]I am planning to release a nice IDE for FASM. There will be even classes, components and Resource Editor.[/blue]
    :
    Sounds great. I'm planing an eight input data scope using a parellel port. I'll try flatasm on that project.

Gene.
    : [blue]I am planning to release a nice IDE for FASM. There will be even classes, components and Resource Editor.[/blue]
    :
    [green]
    Kool, will it have the ability to generate a .lst file?
    [/green]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2005-12-25 7:8:14[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [blue]I am planning to release a nice IDE for FASM. There will be even classes, components and Resource Editor.[/blue]
    : Kool, will it have the ability to generate a .lst file?
    :
    :
    [blue]Probably not. I use FASM 'as is' to compile generated code. Once, I asked the same question on FASM board and someone responded, that this feature was done by someone else (not Tomasz Grysztar, but some enthusiast), since the source code of FASM is open. Try to look for it on the Web.

I must say, that to see listing is not that helpful. Why not fire up the debugger and look into disassembled code? I know, takes some time and scrolling through code, but I find it OK.[/blue]

: [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2005-12-25 7:8:14[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : [blue]I am planning to release a nice IDE for FASM. There will be even classes, components and Resource Editor.[/blue]
    : : [green]
    : : Kool, will it have the ability to generate a .lst file?
    : : [/green]
    : [blue]Probably not. I use FASM 'as is' to compile generated code. Once, I asked the same question on FASM board and someone responded, that this feature was done by someone else (not Tomasz Grysztar, but some enthusiast), since the source code of FASM is open. Try to look for it on the Web.
    :
    : I must say, that to see listing is not that helpful. Why not fire up the debugger and look into disassembled code? I know, takes some time and scrolling through code, but I find it OK.[/blue]
    :
    :
    :
    [green]
    To me it is easier to read than the debugger but then again thats how I was taught to use the .lst file and the debugger in concert with each other.
    [/green]

• joeshmoejoeshmoe Member Posts: 1
    Hello 3 year old thread,

This is how you fix the MASMv6.1 not liking MASMv5.1:

"The rules for using the substitution operator have changed significantly since MASM 5.1, making macro behavior more consistent and flexible. If you have macros written for MASM 5.1 or earlier, you can specify the old behavior by using OLDMACROS or M510 with the OPTION directive (see page 24)."

Taken from:
    http://doc.ddart.net/asm/Microsoft_MASM_Programmers_Guide_v6.1/Chap_09.htm

I'll just leave this here encase someone else like me finds this on Google.