Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What do you recommend?

I am going to try and use Linux soon, and I was wondering what you think is a good distribution of it? I am going to try Feather Linux. Good or bad decision? I'm planning to duel boot my computer also, is this a bad idea or does it matter?

I need some input on what I should do, I'm a little new to this. :)

Comments

• ITAITA Member Posts: 463

For a beginner I suggest trying a nice easy distro which has as much point and click as possible (not that you're trying to limit yourself it just makes it a lot easier to begin with). For this I'd suggest Mandriva, Fedora, SuSE or Ubuntu.These are all suitable. SuSE and Mandriva use KDE by default (KDE is a desktop environment), while Ubuntu and Fedora use Gnome (another desktop environmet) by default.

Personally, my favourite is SuSE, because it looks nice (yes, pathetic I know, but that's the way it is).

Dual booting your computer is only necessary if you want to use another OS too - Windows, BSD or such like. Don't bother, if you won't be using one of these.

ocforums.com has a great install/newbie guide in the AltOS section of the forums stickied, I suggest you read that, it is very comprehensive.

Regards,

ITA
    "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• HarshanduHarshandu Member Posts: 7
    : I am going to try and use Linux soon, and I was wondering what you think is a good distribution of it? I am going to try Feather Linux. Good or bad decision? I'm planning to duel boot my computer also, is this a bad idea or does it matter?
    :
    : I need some input on what I should do, I'm a little new to this. :)
    :

Hi,

You can go for fedora.and if you truly want to learn linux,always operate the system in command mode so that u will get a lot of knowledge.

Regards,
    Harsh.