what is a DWORD_PTR? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

what is a DWORD_PTR?

Hi,

I'm running MS Visual C++ 6.0 and I've just downloaded the DirectX 9 SDK from microsoft.com. Now, whenever I try and compile some programs I get the error message from all of the newly installed ".h" files that contains references to a type called DWORD_PTR. For example, the following code
[code]typedef DWORD_PTR HSEMAPHORE;[/code]generates the error
[code]missing ';' before identifier 'HSEMAPHORE'[/code]
I can solve the problem by adding the following line before all my "#include" statements:[code]typedef unsigned long;[/code]but I still get the same for other types (e.g. LONG_PTR). Is there a header file I can include which will define all these new types that are used by the WinAPI?

Thanks in advance,
Dan :-)

Comments

• tom_swtom_sw Posts: 828Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I'm running MS Visual C++ 6.0 and I've just downloaded the DirectX 9 SDK from microsoft.com. Now, whenever I try and compile some programs I get the error message from all of the newly installed ".h" files that contains references to a type called DWORD_PTR. For example, the following code
    : [code]typedef DWORD_PTR HSEMAPHORE;[/code]generates the error
    : [code]missing ';' before identifier 'HSEMAPHORE'[/code]
    : I can solve the problem by adding the following line before all my "#include" statements:[code]typedef unsigned long;[/code]but I still get the same for other types (e.g. LONG_PTR). Is there a header file I can include which will define all these new types that are used by the WinAPI?
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Dan :-)
    :
    I found an article in MSDN that state this is defined in publicsdkincasetsd.h
    Try adding that to your include path

• zeolitezeolite Posts: 78Member
    Thanks for your help. VC++ 6.0 does come with an older version of basetsd.h (which is in fact where these types are now declared :-)) I just downloaded the latest version of basetsd.h and now my code compiles just fine. Thank you!