Special Random Numbers Matlab

Hi Guys,

I am new to this group (and Matlab in general), but I have been working on a project recently and I need help on it. I am trying to write a ML subroutine/function to generate a "random" array with equal probability of +1 and -1. What I really want is an array with specified dimensions (inout by user), which has equal numbers of 1's and -1's in it. but the 1's and -1's must be randomly distributed.

Of course a simple way of doing this would be to run through the entire array, and write an 'if' statement for each element of the array, as follows:
a=rand (4)
for x=1:16 (%Total length of the array)
if a(x)>0.5, then print 1, if not, print -1.
But the problem is: In the rand function, more than half of the numbers are less (or greater) than 0.5. So the subroutine I just wrote above fails spectacularly. Can anyone help me? Here's the problem again: I need to generate an array (via a function/subroutine) that has half it's elements as 1, and the other half as -1. What's the most random way of doing this (without the for loop I suggested above). Any ideas, anyone?
Depserately need help.

thanks.