Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Definitions of hacker

rgentryrgentry Member Posts: 5
I've read a little bit about hackers, and how there is a "light" and "dark" side of it.

That doesn't really give me much insight, but from what I understand..

There are hackers that destroy. ("dark")

There are hackers that create. ("light")

Is that basically all there is to it? Or am i missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MargaloMargalo Member Posts: 75
    : I've read a little bit about hackers, and how there is a "light" and "dark" side of it.
    :
    : That doesn't really give me much insight, but from what I understand..
    :
    : There are hackers that destroy. ("dark")
    :
    : There are hackers that create. ("light")
    :
    : Is that basically all there is to it? Or am i missing something.
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    :
    [blue]Well It is true about the sides of hacking, but I've never heard it used as light and dark before.
    [green] "Beware, of the dark side" -Yoda [/green]
    Anyway, what I had heard of is white hat and black hat hacking. White hat hackers, don't usaly "create" but repair. white hat hackers will hack a system (most of the time with the administrators permission) to try to find weaknesses in the system. If any are found that alow the system to be acsessed they will repair them and make the system harder to break. [/blue]

[b] Black hat hackers are the kind that you hear about more, the break into a system, to steal information, crash computers, sell them as zombies, get bank info and all that bad stuff. [/b]

Hope that clears some things up (also if you are looking into hacking by reading about it i would recomend "[white]White hat hacking[/white]" that one, doesn't involve harming people lives and going to prison!

[hr]
    [purple][italic]I remain gentelmen you obedeiant servant[b]
    -OG[/purple]
    [/b][/purple][/italic][/red]
    [red]-Margalo ;-)

• Jontom XireJontom Xire Member Posts: 6
    Actually the true definition of hacking has nothing (necessarily) to do with breaking into computer systems.

A hacker is someone who is into computers and programming and good at it. That's about it. They're imaginative and inventive. If you've heard the expression "hacking code" or "a bit of a hack" that is much closer to the true meaning. Basically, they grok computers and computer related stuff, and if you know what "grok" means you're probably either a hacker or halfway there already :)

However, being imaginative and inventive (and intelligent and full of curiosity), hackers tend to suddenly go "Hey wow - if I wrote a program that did such and such, it would bypass the security of such and such a system" and then purely out of curiosity test their theory. The first ever worm brought the then fledgling internet to its knees. Accidentally. Some "too bright for his own good" programmer (who was fairly famous even at the time but whose name I forget) wrote a program that reproduced, presumably trying to create some sort of digital organism (reproduction is one of the attributes of lifeforms). He left it running when he went to bed and it got loose "into the wild" as they say, and started thrashing the CPU of every computer it could access. This was in the days when companies typically only owned one computer, a mainframe, so were especially vulnerable. The machines couldn't just be rebooted, so they had difficulty killing the worm because it spawned copies quicker than than they could be killed, and using the computer was incredibly slow because almost all processing cycles were being taken up by all the spawned worm processes.

The term hacker has these days been corrupted to mean people who break into computer systems. I'm not a hacker. I know enough about computers to know how much I don't know. Nevertheless I have written programs to bypass computer security systems once or twice. I think I was about 14 or 15 when I wrote my first one. I had been a story about a "hacker" and got the idea for a program. I wrote a program at school that made it look like I had logged off when actually I hadn't. If anyone tried to log on it would give them a login failure, write their username and password to a file in my area, and then log me off so they could log in for real. I never actually used it because I was scared someone might figure it out and stop the program giving them access to my files and stuff. It was written in BBC Basic on a BBC Master computer.

A true hacker breaks computer systems for the same reason as people climb Mt Everest - to see if they can.

: : I've read a little bit about hackers, and how there is a "light" and "dark" side of it.
    : :
    : : That doesn't really give me much insight, but from what I understand..
    : : There are hackers that destroy. ("dark")
    : : There are hackers that create. ("light")
    : : Is that basically all there is to it? Or am i missing something.
    : : Thanks in advance.
    : [blue]Well It is true about the sides of hacking, but I've never heard it used as light and dark before.
    : [green] "Beware, of the dark side" -Yoda [/green]
    : Anyway, what I had heard of is white hat and black hat hacking. White hat hackers, don't usaly "create" but repair. white hat hackers will hack a system (most of the time with the administrators permission) to try to find weaknesses in the system. If any are found that alow the system to be acsessed they will repair them and make the system harder to break. [/blue]
    :
    : [b] Black hat hackers are the kind that you hear about more, the break into a system, to steal information, crash computers, sell them as zombies, get bank info and all that bad stuff. [/b]
    :
    : Hope that clears some things up (also if you are looking into hacking by reading about it i would recomend "[white]White hat hacking[/white]" that one, doesn't involve harming people lives and going to prison!
    :
    :
    : [hr]
    : [purple][italic]I remain gentelmen you obedeiant servant[b]
    : -OG[/purple]
    : [/b][/purple][/italic][/red]
    : [red]-Margalo ;-)
    :
    :