Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help with an assignment

Hi everyone.

I'm new to Linux and I'm strugeling to make an assignment. Because the lack of knowledge at this time, I would like someone to give me a help with my first assignment.

Here is the problem:
----------
Design and implement a patch for mount(8) and the kernel with the goal of making sure that an arbitrary user cannot cause a denial of service by inserting a maliciously formatted filesystem on CDROM or floppy or USB stick.
-----------

If anyone is willing to help, it will be very appreciated. Any hint will do.

Thanx in advance,
Ermir

Comments

• kc2keokc2keo Member Posts: 110
    : Hi everyone.
    :
    : I'm new to Linux and I'm strugeling to make an assignment. Because the lack of knowledge at this time, I would like someone to give me a help with my first assignment.
    :
    : Here is the problem:
    : ----------
    : Design and implement a patch for mount(8) and the kernel with the goal of making sure that an arbitrary user cannot cause a denial of service by inserting a maliciously formatted filesystem on CDROM or floppy or USB stick.
    : -----------
    :
    : If anyone is willing to help, it will be very appreciated. Any hint will do.
    :
    : Thanx in advance,
    : Ermir
    :

So it would seem to me that your trying to make an assignment? As in creating one? Or do you mean to complete an assignment that was given to you. Now from the way i'm viewing the problem I would say you should have mount(8)'s source code in front of you to give you a basis to make the patch. I'm not so sure what a arbitrary user is and I've googled it and I dont feel like looking to deep into the arbitrary stuff now since its the middle of the night ant i've gotta get to work tommorrow. I think another good thing you might wanna try doing is really studying developers docs to mount(8) this way you get to familiarize yourself with the functions and all. Maybe you dont have to touch code at all and just have it so only root can mount (thats how I have it setup on Gentoo Linux 2005.0). If I were to look at the possibly long list of code I would be trying to zero in on the sections it mounts filesystems I guess. To make a patch I do believe you need to create code. Well, thats about all the information I have for right now sorry I cannot be of much help.

--George

<------------------------------------------>

Reach me at:

AIM IM: kc2keo
    EMAIL: kc2keo@gmail.com

Pri. Homepage: http://MouyiosMachine.hopto.org:8080