Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

NetBeans IDE very slow

rohit2383rohit2383 Posts: 80Member ✭✭
Hi
I am using The latest netbeans IDE downloaded from SUN's site on a P4 2.6 Ghz system with 256 MB RAM and 80 GB Sata Samsung Harddisk. But even with such a good configuration the netbeans IDE RUNS VERY SLOWLY SOMETIME TAKING UPTO TAKING 1 MINUTE TO BUILD A PROJECT and for some reason accesses the hard disk very much.
Could somebody please tell me why this problem is occurring and how to solve this problem
Thanks
Rohit

Comments

• VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    : Hi
    : I am using The latest netbeans IDE downloaded from SUN's site on a P4 2.6 Ghz system with 256 MB RAM and 80 GB Sata Samsung Harddisk. But even with such a good configuration the netbeans IDE RUNS VERY SLOWLY SOMETIME TAKING UPTO TAKING 1 MINUTE TO BUILD A PROJECT and for some reason accesses the hard disk very much.
    : Could somebody please tell me why this problem is occurring and how to solve this problem
    : Thanks
    : Rohit
    :

I suspect a large part of the problem is your low memory. 256 MB isn't alot when you factor in the OS and everything else running. On my system, netbeans takes up around 3,000k, but the JVM takes about 76000k. Netbeans is likely accessing your hard drive to move data in and out of virtual memory, which is slow compared to RAM.
    [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]

• YnotYnot Posts: 113Member
    For your future reference, 512Mb is the [b]absolute minimum[/b] amount of RAM you should get - especially for developers. 1Gb would be recommended if you can afford it. It would be advisable to go out and buy some more RAM. Another 256Mb would do, but you won't regret investing in another half or full gig - you'll notice an improvement in pretty much everything.

Windows will use almost the full 256Mb just because it's there and it can (I'm not a big fan of windows - hence my bashing). ;) I'm using a 2.8GHz P4 with 512Mb and 60Gb laptop for all my development. Everything builds nicely - eclipse, netbeans, and msvc++. They all build nicely on my AMD 1700+ with 1Gb as well. The most important thing in a computer is *not* the processor speed (although it does help a little). It's the RAM, and how fast data in RAM can get to the processor - ie, the bus.

: : Hi
    : : I am using The latest netbeans IDE downloaded from SUN's site on a P4 2.6 Ghz system with 256 MB RAM and 80 GB Sata Samsung Harddisk. But even with such a good configuration the netbeans IDE RUNS VERY SLOWLY SOMETIME TAKING UPTO TAKING 1 MINUTE TO BUILD A PROJECT and for some reason accesses the hard disk very much.
    : : Could somebody please tell me why this problem is occurring and how to solve this problem
    : : Thanks
    : : Rohit
    : :
    :
    :
    : I suspect a large part of the problem is your low memory. 256 MB isn't alot when you factor in the OS and everything else running. On my system, netbeans takes up around 3,000k, but the JVM takes about 76000k. Netbeans is likely accessing your hard drive to move data in and out of virtual memory, which is slow compared to RAM.
    : [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :