Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Turbo Pascal vs. Delphi

Some years ago I developed a software tool for diagnosing Machine failures using Borland Turbo Pascal. The intention was to take the user through a series of Q and A steps using multiple photographs of actual failures in order to arrive at a probable cause. However after finding that it was only possible to incorporate a maximum of 3 photos in the software, I shelved the idea. Now that the capacity of computers has greatly increased along with improved software and in addition, being retired and having plenty of time on my hands, I am thinking of having another go.
My intention is to use increasingly detailed lists of multiple-choice questions with explanations and answers based on a large collection of photographic evidence.
For example:
Q. Is one of the following characteristics present (with explanations)? (Selection using Mouse)
A. Does this look like what you are seeing (from photographs)? (Selection from multiple and enlarged photos).

My questions are:
1. What do I need to develop such a program that is usable within the Windows environment?
2. Having some experience with Turbo Pascal, should I use Delphi?
3. Is there a simpler approach?
4. How can I keep cost to a minimum?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    :
    : Some years ago I developed a software tool for diagnosing Machine failures using Borland Turbo Pascal. The intention was to take the user through a series of Q and A steps using multiple photographs of actual failures in order to arrive at a probable cause. However after finding that it was only possible to incorporate a maximum of 3 photos in the software, I shelved the idea. Now that the capacity of computers has greatly increased along with improved software and in addition, being retired and having plenty of time on my hands, I am thinking of having another go.
    : My intention is to use increasingly detailed lists of multiple-choice questions with explanations and answers based on a large collection of photographic evidence.
    : For example:
    : Q. Is one of the following characteristics present (with explanations)? (Selection using Mouse)
    : A. Does this look like what you are seeing (from photographs)? (Selection from multiple and enlarged photos).
    :
    : My questions are:
    : 1. What do I need to develop such a program that is usable within the Windows environment?
    : 2. Having some experience with Turbo Pascal, should I use Delphi?
    : 3. Is there a simpler approach?
    : 4. How can I keep cost to a minimum?
    :
    :
    1: You could use a fully-fledged programming language or a HTML-javascript approach.
    2: TP knowledge is definitely helpful in programming Delphi, but the program architecture has changed over time. TP programs usually run in the more traditional way, while Delphi programs are event-driven and the compiler "hides" a lot of the code within various objects. I found that one of the biggest obstacles in switching from TP into Delphi.
    3: Depends on your knowledge of programming. A web-designer would find a HTML-javascript or php/sql approach easier. I, as a Delphi programmer, would certainly use Delphi.
    4: Aside from the Delphi compiler, you would only need time to program it and make the screenshots of errors.