Aysnchronous Chat System using Sockets - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Aysnchronous Chat System using Sockets

jrusselljrussell Posts: 1Member
Hi there

I have to do an asynhronous chat system for a college assignment. I was wondering if I could ask for help.

At the moment I have a server that spawns threads for each connecting clent. I am using an echo server at the moment on the localhost and port number 7.

I need the server to be a proxy server. The server needs to route messges to the appropriate client, the client must log on to the server. A client can refuse a message from another client. I have more to do but just want to concentrate on this at the moment.

Do I use a Vector to hold the information on the clients, as this can grow and shrink as clients log on and off. Do i need to implement the Vector in the server or the server thread? Do I query the vector to see if a client will accept a message, etc.

i'd appreciate any help on this. Deadline is 5th Nov. 05.

Thanks alot