Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

linux on ipaq h5500

i have ipaq h5500 and i want to install linux on it
i searched the net lot
i get step by step information for it
but problem come here
the ipaq h5500 is compitable with familiar v0.8.2 or v0.8.2
so i m trying to get it
but i m not able to find it
in each and every sitr when i search for it is giving me familiar verson which for any other ipaq but not for h5500
so if any one have some experience about it plz help me
thanks for reply in advance

Comments

• kc2keokc2keo Posts: 110Member
    Well I was doing some googling on your situation of trying to install Linux on the IPAQ and I was curious myself since my father has one. Unfortunatly I will not be able to attempt to install Linux on it since its his and he will kill me if I do anything to it. Anyway, handhelds.org seems to be a good choice to start out. It seems to have a list of handhelds Linux will be able to be installed to. There was a Ipaq howo mentioning installing some listed Linux flavors through a dual boot. That is what I think you should aim for. Having a dual boot. Reason being is you never know if you need to switch back to the native OS install for any reason.

Heres the direct link to the FAQ:

http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-faq/getting-started.html

The google keywords (no quotes or anything) I used to find it is:

linux on ipaq h5500

I do not believe this task could be done with a person not knowing anything about Linux or for someone who has never setup a dual boot before. The FAQ might not have everything you need to help you understand what to do exactly. If you are new to Linux you may wanna grab a Linux book from your local bookstore to help you understand how Linux works "under the hood".

Good luck,

--George

<------------------------------------------>

Reach me at:

AIM IM: kc2keo
    EMAIL: kc2keo@gmail.com

Pri. Homepage: http://MouyiosMachine.hopto.org:8080

• vaghelavaghela Posts: 6Member
    hey man thanks for your reply
    i tried lot to install linux on it..
    and finally i get it running on it.
    at present my ipaq has linux runing on it.
    i follow the same website which u told me..
    it is really good website for ipaq
    any way thanks if u want to install in your ipaq just mail
    me i will give u all information...

: Well I was doing some googling on your situation of trying to install Linux on the IPAQ and I was curious myself since my father has one. Unfortunatly I will not be able to attempt to install Linux on it since its his and he will kill me if I do anything to it. Anyway, handhelds.org seems to be a good choice to start out. It seems to have a list of handhelds Linux will be able to be installed to. There was a Ipaq howo mentioning installing some listed Linux flavors through a dual boot. That is what I think you should aim for. Having a dual boot. Reason being is you never know if you need to switch back to the native OS install for any reason.
    :
    : Heres the direct link to the FAQ:
    :
    : http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-faq/getting-started.html
    :
    : The google keywords (no quotes or anything) I used to find it is:
    :
    : linux on ipaq h5500
    :
    : I do not believe this task could be done with a person not knowing anything about Linux or for someone who has never setup a dual boot before. The FAQ might not have everything you need to help you understand what to do exactly. If you are new to Linux you may wanna grab a Linux book from your local bookstore to help you understand how Linux works "under the hood".
    :
    : Good luck,
    :
    : --George
    :
    :
    : <------------------------------------------>
    :
    : Reach me at:
    :
    : AIM IM: kc2keo
    : EMAIL: kc2keo@gmail.com