Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Drop Down List

EclayEclay Member Posts: 26
I'm trying to create a form. In it I'm trying to place a drop down box with various items in it. After the user chooses one of the items I'd like it to spit out multiple rows of information regarding that item on the same form. Anyone have any examples or suggestions?

Comments

• splansingsplansing Member Posts: 140
    : I'm trying to create a form. In it I'm trying to place a drop down box with various items in it. After the user chooses one of the items I'd like it to spit out multiple rows of information regarding that item on the same form. Anyone have any examples or suggestions?
    :
    You can do a lot of things.

1- set up your drop-down box (I'll call it DDBox) with all of the data you want to display included, so there are 3 or 4 or 8 columns, however many it takes. Define your column widths to zero for any of the columns you don't want to show up in the actual drop-down list. Place text boxes on your form with the following in the controlsource property:

=DDBox.Column(3)

That will cause the text box to display whatever data is in column 3 of the drop-down box.

2- set the form up with the recordsource set to the info you want to display. when they choose something from the drop-down box, move to that record so that data shows up. Note that to do this, your drop-down box should be unbound, or you'll find you have a lot of problems. Turns out that Me.DDBox.Undo doesn't actually do anything until it's too late, and you'll end up screwing up your data.
  • aatkbdaatkbd Member Posts: 42
    : I'm trying to create a form. In it I'm trying to place a drop down box with various items in it. After the user chooses one of the items I'd like it to spit out multiple rows of information regarding that item on the same form. Anyone have any examples or suggestions?
    :

[blue]
    I don't know of a single native access control that can do that. you either need to find or create an activeX control or use mulitple drop down boxes to create that effect.

The mulitple drop down boxes are easy. one of the drop down list to be dependent on one of the others. (SELECT * FROM table WHERE Field_Code = Me.Dropdown1)
    [/blue]
  • HackmanCHackmanC Member Posts: 441
    : : I'm trying to create a form. In it I'm trying to place a drop down box with various items in it. After the user chooses one of the items I'd like it to spit out multiple rows of information regarding that item on the same form. Anyone have any examples or suggestions?
    : :
    :
    : [blue]
    : I don't know of a single native access control that can do that. you either need to find or create an activeX control or use mulitple drop down boxes to create that effect.
    :
    : The mulitple drop down boxes are easy. one of the drop down list to be dependent on one of the others. (SELECT * FROM table WHERE Field_Code = Me.Dropdown1)
    : [/blue]
    :

... look the ThreeView COM Control, but you have to fill it manually with code... is not access native.

[red]Good luck![/red]
    [blue]Hackman[/blue]