Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I need help, badly!!

compuwizjrcompuwizjr Posts: 73Member
I'm working on a personalized wipe-out disk for a friend, but I can't figure out how to make it delete the file the person specifies. You see, I have a text box(txtFile) where the user will type in the name of the file, a text box(txtSource) where the user will type in the location of the file, then the start button(txtDelete), but my problem is that I don't know the code to delete the file specified in the "txtFile" box. Can some one help me?

Comments

• dirtyharrydirtyharry Posts: 8Member
    : I'm working on a personalized wipe-out disk for a friend, but I can't figure out how to make it delete the file the person specifies. You see, I have a text box(txtFile) where the user will type in the name of the file, a text box(txtSource) where the user will type in the location of the file, then the start button(txtDelete), but my problem is that I don't know the code to delete the file specified in the "txtFile" box. Can some one help me?
    :

I think there is a command 'kill' which can remove files.
    Example: Kill ("c: emp est.txt")
    So in your case : Kill (txtSource.Text & txtFile.Text)

To remove directories use: rmdir
    Example: Rmdir ("c: emp")
    Note that the last function only works if ALL files AND folders are removed in that folder so the folder is empty.

Good luck!
    Marty
  • compuwizjrcompuwizjr Posts: 73Member
    : : I'm working on a personalized wipe-out disk for a friend, but I can't figure out how to make it delete the file the person specifies. You see, I have a text box(txtFile) where the user will type in the name of the file, a text box(txtSource) where the user will type in the location of the file, then the start button(txtDelete), but my problem is that I don't know the code to delete the file specified in the "txtFile" box. Can some one help me?
    : :
    :
    : I think there is a command 'kill' which can remove files.
    : Example: Kill ("c: emp est.txt")
    : So in your case : Kill (txtSource.Text & txtFile.Text)
    :
    : To remove directories use: rmdir
    : Example: Rmdir ("c: emp")
    : Note that the last function only works if ALL files AND folders are removed in that folder so the folder is empty.
    :
    : Good luck!
    : Marty
    :
    : Thanks for your help, but now I have another problem. I also have "Cancel" button, and I can't figure out what kind of code to use for the button to make the delete action stop.

• dirtyharrydirtyharry Posts: 8Member
    : : : I'm working on a personalized wipe-out disk for a friend, but I can't figure out how to make it delete the file the person specifies. You see, I have a text box(txtFile) where the user will type in the name of the file, a text box(txtSource) where the user will type in the location of the file, then the start button(txtDelete), but my problem is that I don't know the code to delete the file specified in the "txtFile" box. Can some one help me?
    : : :
    : : I think there is a command 'kill' which can remove files.
    : : Example: Kill ("c: emp est.txt")
    : : So in your case : Kill (txtSource.Text & txtFile.Text)
    : : To remove directories use: rmdir
    : : Example: Rmdir ("c: emp")
    : : Note that the last function only works if ALL files AND folders are removed in that folder so the folder is empty.
    : : Good luck!
    : : Marty
    : : Thanks for your help, but now I have another problem. I also have "Cancel" button, and I can't figure out what kind of code to use for the button to make the delete action stop.
    :
    :
    :

Well you can't really stop one Kill command. What you can do is stop a loop in which more files are deleted.
    For example if you delete 100 files in a directory using a while loop, create a public boolean continue which is set on true initially. I you press cancel this boolean will be set to false so that the loop won't continue.

Example:
    general
    public continue as boolean
    -----
    public sub deleteFiles ()
    continue = true
    While i < numberOfFiles And continue = true
    Kill(fileList.item(i)text)
    i = i + 1
    end sub

Something like that should work. Note that if you delete 100 files at once, you only have a couple of seconds to cancel. But if the user of your program deletes about 10 files (or less) you won't get the chance to cancel.
    Instead I would recommend a prompt box which asks for comfirmation so the user is sure.

Good luck!
    Marty
    : : : : I'm working on a personalized wipe-out disk for a friend, but I can't figure out how to make it delete the file the person specifies. You see, I have a text box(txtFile) where the user will type in the name of the file, a text box(txtSource) where the user will type in the location of the file, then the start button(txtDelete), but my problem is that I don't know the code to delete the file specified in the "txtFile" box. Can some one help me?
    : : : :
    : : : I think there is a command 'kill' which can remove files.
    : : : Example: Kill ("c: emp est.txt")
    : : : So in your case : Kill (txtSource.Text & txtFile.Text)
    : : : To remove directories use: rmdir
    : : : Example: Rmdir ("c: emp")
    : : : Note that the last function only works if ALL files AND folders are removed in that folder so the folder is empty.
    : : : Good luck!
    : : : Marty
    : : : Thanks for your help, but now I have another problem. I also have "Cancel" button, and I can't figure out what kind of code to use for the button to make the delete action stop.
    :
    : Well you can't really stop one Kill command. What you can do is stop a loop in which more files are deleted.
    : For example if you delete 100 files in a directory using a while loop, create a public boolean continue which is set on true initially. I you press cancel this boolean will be set to false so that the loop won't continue.
    :
    : Example:
    : general
    : public continue as boolean
    : -----
    : public sub deleteFiles ()
    : continue = true
    : While i < numberOfFiles And continue = true
    : Kill(fileList.item(i)text)
    : i = i + 1
    : end sub
    :
    :
    : Something like that should work. Note that if you delete 100 files at once, you only have a couple of seconds to cancel. But if the user of your program deletes about 10 files (or less) you won't get the chance to cancel.
    : Instead I would recommend a prompt box which asks for comfirmation so the user is sure.
    :
    : Good luck!
    : Marty
    :
    Okay, so I used the exact code you gave me for the kill command, and I don't exactly understand the code for my cancel button, but I also need help with how to make a prompt box to ask for confirmation.
    CompuWizJR

: : : : : I'm working on a personalized wipe-out disk for a friend, but I can't figure out how to make it delete the file the person specifies. You see, I have a text box(txtFile) where the user will type in the name of the file, a text box(txtSource) where the user will type in the location of the file, then the start button(txtDelete), but my problem is that I don't know the code to delete the file specified in the "txtFile" box. Can some one help me?
    : : : : :
    : : : : I think there is a command 'kill' which can remove files.
    : : : : Example: Kill ("c: emp est.txt")
    : : : : So in your case : Kill (txtSource.Text & txtFile.Text)
    : : : : To remove directories use: rmdir
    : : : : Example: Rmdir ("c: emp")
    : : : : Note that the last function only works if ALL files AND folders are removed in that folder so the folder is empty.
    : : : : Good luck!
    : : : : Marty
    : : : : Thanks for your help, but now I have another problem. I also have "Cancel" button, and I can't figure out what kind of code to use for the button to make the delete action stop.
    : : Well you can't really stop one Kill command. What you can do is stop a loop in which more files are deleted.
    : : For example if you delete 100 files in a directory using a while loop, create a public boolean continue which is set on true initially. I you press cancel this boolean will be set to false so that the loop won't continue.
    : : Example:
    : : general
    : : public continue as boolean
    : : -----
    : : public sub deleteFiles ()
    : : continue = true
    : : While i < numberOfFiles And continue = true
    : : Kill(fileList.item(i)text)
    : : i = i + 1
    : : end sub
    : : Something like that should work. Note that if you delete 100 files at once, you only have a couple of seconds to cancel. But if the user of your program deletes about 10 files (or less) you won't get the chance to cancel.
    : : Instead I would recommend a prompt box which asks for comfirmation so the user is sure.
    : : Good luck!
    : : Marty
    : Okay, so I used the exact code you gave me for the kill command, and I don't exactly understand the code for my cancel button, but I also need help with how to make a prompt box to ask for confirmation.
    : CompuWizJR
    :
    :
    With the code you just gave me, I get the following Task List build error:Statement cannot appear within a method body. End of method assumed.
    It's from the "Public Sub" part of the code. What does it mean, and how do I fix it?
    CompuWizJR